You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Remove extra gradient (‘spine’?) line - Designer

I’m encountering this extra gradient line a lot.

I believe it’s when an object with a gradient applied is scaled or transformed in any way. Then when I decide to tweak the gradient and choose the gradient tool -> this (attached) is what I see. Feels like the moment I do anything with an object with a gradient, this is added.

1) Is there an easy, quick, no-faff way to get rid of it, please?

2) Am I doing something when first applying the gradient that invites this? Put another way: can I apply a gradient and set something that prevents this?

Thank you - all help appreciated, always.

2552C282-DCC6-4E97-8C2E-16F18D451CB7.jpeg

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

Very odd. I’ve just set-to editing a gradient. It had this extra spine as illustrated above (don’t know what it’s called).

I tapped the colour node on the solid spine (original gradient line) to change the colour. Changed the colour, then - assuming I’d have to - tapped the corresponding node on the extra spine. Bam! The extra spine disappeared!

I have no idea why that hasn’t happened before. (Possibly because I’ve tended to want to move the nodes, not recolour them?) Not quite got my head around it - am fazed by this extra spine... but progress.

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.

On 1/30/2021 at 9:04 AM, ProDesigner said:

I believe it’s when an object with a gradient applied is scaled or transformed in any way. Then when I decide to tweak the gradient and choose the gradient tool -> this (attached) is what I see. Feels like the moment I do anything with an object with a gradient, this is added.

After playing with this it seems that after transforming, the new handles allow you to adjust the shear to realign the angle of the gradient. When restored to original angle the shear adjustment disappears.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Thanks everyone. I am reading your responses. Just not had time to digest or do more on it. I will come back to this one - inevitably, because it occurs a lot.