You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Good bye Adobe - Hello Affinity

kindhs

I first used Photoshop on 1997.  Twenty five years later Adobe goes to rest while Affinity is rising.

This is my first attempt  to create something in Affinity Designer.

"Darkness"  The moon was captured with a canon camera and edited in Affinity photo. The skeleton was created with an old 3D character design software. The ground, plants, and the clouds created with the Pixel Persona of Affinity Designer. 

I can not tell in a few words, how happy I am using Affinity products!

Darkness1.jpg

Edited by kindhs
correct the text

2 hours ago, Uwe367 said:

It´s a nice composing and idea, but the moon in front of the clouds? I believe that should be the other way around or am i wrong? 😉

You are 100% correct! But this was not planned to be a "realistic" or "educational" or "scientific" illustration, if it was the skeleton should be under the ground.  

1 hour ago, kindhs said:

You are 100% correct! But this was not planned to be a "realistic" or "educational" or "scientific" illustration, if it was the skeleton should be under the ground.  

Ok, you are right 😂
For me it was looking like a scene of a horror movie or similar and in this skeletons are often on the ground 😁
Anyway.. it´s a nice work and a good idea 👍

Have a nice day.
Ich wünsche einen schönen Tag.

23 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Ok, you are right 😂
For me it was looking like a scene of a horror movie or similar and in this skeletons are often on the ground 😁
Anyway.. it´s a nice work and a good idea 👍

I agree with you, and I really like observations like yours, it means you pay attention to details!!!😉 

I think this is a "kind" of illustration that allows somebody to follow his imagination with very few limitations.  

15 minutes ago, kindhs said:

I agree with you, and I really like observations like yours, it means you pay attention to details!!!😉

Yes, you are right with this. Before i came to Affinity i was (i´m always) a moderator in a photoshop forum and there i pay attention  to details if a user has a question how to make a work better.

15 minutes ago, kindhs said:

I think this is a "kind" of illustration that allows somebody to follow his imagination with very few limitations. 

Yes, it lets´s much space for the own fantasy, how to see the scene and what happens in it or what happens next....

Have a nice day.

6 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Yes, you are right with this. Before i came to Affinity is was (i´m always) a moderator in a photoshop forum and there i pay attention  to details if a user has a question how to make a work better.

Yes, it lets´s much space for the own fantasy, how to see the scene and what happens in it or what happens next....

Your comments are always welcome! Here is an example of my first painting attempt that I just started in Affinity Designer (not finished yet). No "wild" imagination or breaking limitations on this one! 

Hunting.jpg

17 minutes ago, kindhs said:

Your comments are always welcome! Here is an example of my first painting attempt that I just started in Affinity Designer (not finished yet). No "wild" imagination or breaking limitations on this one!

Looks very good and I am curious about the finished picture.

Have a nice day.

9 minutes ago, Uwe367 said:

Looks very good and I am curious about the finished picture.

Thank you for your kind words! 

PS  I am living in Southern California and you remind me the wonderful trips I had in Germany! Dusseldorf, Berlin, Koln, etc. The History of this country, the architecture, the landscapes, the people, I have not enough words on how much I love your country!😊

5 minutes ago, kindhs said:

PS  I am living in Southern California and you remind me the wonderful trips I had in Germany! Dusseldorf, Berlin, Koln, etc. The History of this country, the architecture, the landscapes, the people, I have not enough words on how much I love your country!

Thanks, that´s nice. In 1988 i was for 2 weeks in Shreveport/Louisiana. From there i had a trip to Dallas/Texas and i was overwhelmed of this city. The time was to short to see more from the USA.

Have a nice day.

The trees look like trees! It's surprising how many don't considering that they are everywhere. I had the noticed the VERY high clouds. I know it's not meant to be realistic but would have still looked better with the moon behind them and perhaps the moon a bit higher, but that's me.

Marc

ArtByMarc.me

22 minutes ago, VectorVonDoom said:

The trees look like trees! It's surprising how many don't considering that they are everywhere. I had the noticed the VERY high clouds. I know it's not meant to be realistic but would have still looked better with the moon behind them and perhaps the moon a bit higher, but that's me.

You are right, it's a matter of how each one of us looks at the composition. I did try to cover the moon with clouds but I didn't like it much... I wanted to show the whole moon, because when it is hidden looks to me that the main subject that attracts the attention is only the skeleton, while I wanted both of them to be in the center of attention.   

9 hours ago, kindhs said:

I wanted to show the whole moon, because when it is hidden looks to me that the main subject that attracts the attention is only the skeleton, while I wanted both of them to be in the center of attention.   

You are right when you say it "was not planned to be a "realistic" or "educational" or "scientific" illustration."

And you are right when you say you wanted the moon to also be the centre of attention but it is the centre of attention for the wrong reason. It just looks out of place where it is and that's the immediate thing that most people will see

Still, a remarkable piece of work.

moon2.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

28 minutes ago, carl123 said:

You are right when you say it "was not planned to be a "realistic" or "educational" or "scientific" illustration."

And you are right when you say you wanted the moon to also be the centre of attention but it is the centre of attention for the wrong reason. It just looks out of place where it is and that's the immediate thing that most people will see

Still, a remarkable piece of work.

moon2.jpg

Thank you!

Love it. Night sky. Full moon. Spooky trees. Skeleton emerging from a grave. How could you go wrong? All technical and compositional notes aside, I'm glad you're comfortable enough with Affinity Photo to give the kiss-off to Adobe (I've been 100% Adobe-free for close to 4 years). I find there's been no limitations to what I can produce with Affinity products and I do not miss the bloat of Adobe programs. Artists such as yourself only further the fact that excellent work can be achieved outside of the Adobe universe.

19 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

Love it. Night sky. Full moon. Spooky trees. Skeleton emerging from a grave. How could you go wrong? All technical and compositional notes aside, I'm glad you're comfortable enough with Affinity Photo to give the kiss-off to Adobe (I've been 100% Adobe-free for close to 4 years). I find there's been no limitations to what I can produce with Affinity products and I do not miss the bloat of Adobe programs. Artists such as yourself only further the fact that excellent work can be achieved outside of the Adobe universe.

I agree 100% 

56 minutes ago, dannyg9 said:

There is also something else... Allot of people after getting comfortable with a software, they are "afraid" to start learning a new software and learn new technics etc. I am not a youngster myself but I love to learn, give me photo or video or music software and I will try to master them as much as I can. 

P (1214).jpg

1 hour ago, Ren De said:

I too am rather long of tooth and I am ecstatic over these tools from Affinity. Kindhs I think we are on the same plane... 🤓

When I was a teenager such things as computers and software did not exist, I am assuming the same goes for you too, and sometimes I wonder how different my life would be if I had access to all these wonderful tools. The young people today are so lucky that they have so many different choices in order to dive into art and become creators. Oh well... I guess in our case it's better late than never!🙂

I went to Art School and learned all of this stuff MANUALLY (no computers with the exception of an ancient, DOS - based static animation program - think flip cards). About 5 years after I graduated i basically re-learned everything on the computer. Not too bad for my sake. In my class (which was a basic package of Quark, Photoshop, and Illustrator) were two gents who'd spent about 25 years doing photo touch ups and editing at Time publications. Every instruction the teacher gave was met with a chorus of "Wait! Wait!" "Where?" "Hold on, HOLD ON!" Can't imagine what their learning curve was. I'm sure if they had Affinity programs back then they would have had a much easier time of it.