You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Release candidates for real work discussion (split)

On 1/25/2021 at 9:53 PM, MattP said:

we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous / future versions of Affinity Designer.

Does this recommendation also go for the Release Candidate(s)?

15 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

Does this recommendation also go for the Release Candidate(s)?

A release candidate is still a test version with a different name. With all that follows. With no guarantees. Never use it for production work - only testing. 

The first release version was a release candidate a few days earlier. Still only a newborn. Use it for production work with caution. Let the first movers burn their fingers if you are using it for commercial work. Wait for the first minor updates.

That is why the constant startup reminder (that cannot be disabled) about a new release available in all Affinity apps is dangerous. Every release has a new file format, older apps cannot open files saved in the new format. 

Example:

• Upgrade to 1.9.0
  • Work in 1.9.0
  • Save over 1.8.5 file from 1.9.0
  • Discover a serious issue you can't live with in 1.9.0
  • Downgrade to 1.8.5
  • SCREAM! You cannot open the file from 1.9.0
  • Stuck
  • In a commercial setup you will be up Shit Creek without a paddle
  • Backups of all files is a clumsy no go
  • Restoring backups from servers is a clumsy no go

LibreOffice is an excellent example of a project that takes stability in a production environment serious. They do offer brand new update but also recommend production work installations to follow the older branch and they release several updates to that for an extended period. It is how it is done. Serif also release around five minor updates after each major release - if only their nagging reminder wouldn't push people towards updating to a brand new major version the second it is released.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 hours ago, Arun Sarkar said:

This is a real pain. Corel has Save as earlier version option. And earlier we, Serif user, also enjoy to open a Ver 18.0 file in Ver 13. Nice feature.

I agree. But to avoid the thread spinning out of control 🙂 lets focus on the issues that can (and often will) arise when people use betas, release candidates or first release versions. 🙂

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

I agree. But to avoid the thread spinning out of control 🙂 lets focus on the issues that can (and often will) arise when people use betas, release candidates or first release versions. 🙂

I'd also recommend turning off Auto update on MAS (not sure if its the same for Win) as that caught me out with (I think) 1.6 which, for me, was running like a bed ridden slug, there was no going back and I had deadlines approaching, Ok they had a usable version out within a week - but - lesson learned 

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

1 hour ago, Jowday said:

earlier version option

This is difficult, because of all the new features in each version — also, as long as all software updates are unpaid, people can just update to open newer files. Backwards compatibility will, in my opinion, become something to think about when we approach version 2, but not yet ...

1 hour ago, Dazmondo77 said:

I'd also recommend turning off Auto update on MAS (not sure if its the same for Win) as that caught me out with (I think) 1.6 which, for me, was running like a bed ridden slug, there was no going back and I had deadlines approaching, Ok they had a usable version out within a week - but - lesson learned 

I believe that if you purchased Affinity in the horrible, horrible Microsoft Store then you will get the updates automatically. NFW.

40 minutes ago, Jens Krebs said:

This is difficult, because of all the new features in each version — also, as long as all software updates are unpaid, people can just update to open newer files. Backwards compatibility will, in my opinion, become something to think about when we approach version 2, but not yet ...

In a professional setup you do what is necessary and safe. In a personal setup you have more liberties but you still take a chance. And with my project I worked on for months, I do not take chances. To get what? Contours light? I can wait another month or two while others look for mines with their feet.

Just update to open newer files? I am talking about the scenario when the damage is done and your files are overwritten with a new format. You have to downgrade to get the working version of your software back. And you simply cant export it to an older format if Serifs bugfixes takes weeks or months to arrive. 

But still. This was just an example. What is important is to underline that betas, release candidates and even first versions of the release version is not without risks. Perhaps you can't wait but people should know that even a release candidate is for testing purposes only.

• Staff

Hi guys I have split this from the RC3 thread. We have lots of internal testing going on and to have to keep checking the announcement notifications is distracting.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.