You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opencl bug? (ver 1.9.0.923)

3 hours ago, Galm said:

Just changed the nvidia studio driver to the gaming one, and on beta 1.9.1.944 it took 43s to deselect the patch tool.

I believe I have a similar setup: Intel i7 + 16Gb + GTX1660super + 6Gb, running on studio driver 461.40. No problems whatsoever. Deselecting Patch Tool is instantaneously. Running Beta 1.9.1.952

My complements to the Dev Team!

29 minutes ago, PetervL said:

I believe I have a similar setup: Intel i7 + 16Gb + GTX1660super + 6Gb, running on studio driver 461.40. No problems whatsoever. Deselecting Patch Tool is instantaneously. Running Beta 1.9.1.952

My complements to the Dev Team!

On my machine is almost instantaneously with small files (1 our 2 mb). When i do it on this particular set of images (around 300mb, cmyk, tiff files) i get the delay.

Can you please test on similar images (i cannot share this ones), to see if it's only on my machine that it happens? 

Thanks

Edit:

If you can, please do the folowing test:

On the latest AP Beta:

Create a new blank document

On the Stock panel, select Pixabay and search for "Beach".

The second photo should be a silhouette of a women against a yellow/redish sunset.

Drag that photo to the document

Select it, copy it and then choose File-> New from clipboard.

It should give you a new document with the full photo.

Go to Document-> Resize document and change the dpi to 250 using the Lanczos 3 Non Separable and with the "Resample" box thicked.

Now with the patch tool select the woman (roughly), click the area in front of her to make it dissapear and then deselect the tool.

After 5 tries it took always betwenn 45 and 50 seconds to deselect with opencl enabeld on the latest .952 beta.

Here are a few screenshots of the image

Captura_de_ecrã_2021-02-11_132344.png

Captura_de_ecrã_2021-02-11_132203.png

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

@Galm, we don't currently support hardware acceleration with CMYK images, so this might be what you're seeing here. 

I dind't know that. However, the above test with the stock photo was done without converting the image. So it was done in RGB.

If @PetervL finds the time to do the test, and if he doesen't get the delay i'm having, then there could be something wrong with my system. I still haven't excluded that. 

The lack of CMYK opencl acceleration could explain why some images took over 2 minutes to deselect. When i find the time i will convert those images to RGB and try again for testing purposes.

Thanks for the tip

1 minute ago, Galm said:

I dind't know that. However, the above test with the stock photo was done without converting the image. So it was done in RGB.

If @PetervL finds the time to do the test, and if he doesen't get the delay i'm having, then there could be something wrong with my system. I still haven't excluded that. 

The lack of CMYK opencl acceleration could explain why some images took over 2 minutes to deselect. When i find the time i will convert those images to RGB and try again for testing purposes.

Thanks for the tip

I'd be interested to know whether you think there is a difference in time when using CMYK with hardware acceleration, and CMYK without hardware acceleration, as they should both be the same (the CMYK hardware implementation should fallback to software).

46 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

I'd be interested to know whether you think there is a difference in time when using CMYK with hardware acceleration, and CMYK without hardware acceleration, as they should both be the same (the CMYK hardware implementation should fallback to software).

I just confirmed, and the image i used for the tests on the previous page was in CMYK.

Just changed the nvidia studio driver to the gaming one, and on beta 1.9.1.944 it took 43s to deselect the patch tool.

The same image on beta .952 in rgb took 40s with opencl enabled and 17s with opencl disabled.

It doesen't seem to be any difference, with the nvidia gaming driver between a image in CMYK and a image in RGB. And by the looks of it, it isn't reverting to software which, at the moment, is faster on my computer than hardware opencl. 

1 hour ago, Mark Ingram said:

I will do the test for you, unfortunately, at this moment I am strapped for time. Will be next week, I'm sorry for that

10 hours ago, Galm said:

can you please test on similar images (i cannot share this ones), to see if it's only on my machine that it happens? 

Hi Galm, I did find a little bit of time for you and did the test, precisely as you prescribed. It took 25 seconds and another time 30 seconds to deselect which is not too different from your attempt. I don't think there is anything wrong with your machine. BTW what type of processor do you have, mine is an i7 10700F.

Anyway I hope this was of any assistance to you.

Best regards, Peter

8 hours ago, PetervL said:

Hi Galm, I did find a little bit of time for you and did the test, precisely as you prescribed. It took 25 seconds and another time 30 seconds to deselect which is not too different from your attempt. I don't think there is anything wrong with your machine. BTW what type of processor do you have, mine is an i7 10700F.

Anyway I hope this was of any assistance to you.

Best regards, Peter

Thanks for taking the time to do the test. At least for now i can discard machine problems.

My processor is a lot older and slower than yours. It's an i7 5820K.

• 10 months later...

I can reproduce this on several computers, it's all to do with the file you're editing. I use a 1.2GB full digital painting at my office to easily reproduce this.

turning openCL off fixes it.

All drivers are updated, below is a list of the hardware (version 1.10.3 or whatever is newest of affinity as well)

• Ryzen 3600X + nvidia gtx 1650
  • Ryzen 3700X + amd rx 580
  • intel 4790K + nvidia gtx 750 ti

Here is a thread last year with the same issue, that I also saw then and experienced. We've always had this issue. So hopefully others catch it.

Thanks

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.