You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opencl bug? (ver 1.9.0.923)

For a start, my graphics card is an Nvidia gtx 1660 super running the lastest studio driver (461.40)

There are some major issues with Affinity Photo running this specific setup, with opencl acceleration and using the "Patch Tool".

Everything is fine until you deselect the area. Then everything gets crazy and i have to restart AP.

With opencl off everything is fine.

Here are a few screenshots:

Image 1 is the problem i want to use the patch tool on

image 2 is the problem after using the patch tool but before deselecting

image 3 after deselecting.

After the issue, if i try to make a new blank file, the file appears grey with a crazy image preview (image 4)

Everything runs well with opencl turned off.

Edit: Apparently the images appear in this post in reverse order. Sorry about that

4.png

3.png

2.png

1.png

Hmmm, I just checked and it's surely related to the open CL setting. With OpenCL turned of AP/patch works as expected ...

BTW: I experienced all sorts of strange behaviour. Arefacts outside the selected path area (but within the selection boundaries). Strange opacity (semitransparent overlay in the patch area) or just a rectangular crop after applying the patch.

Hope that helps you narrow down the problem,
Cheers, Timo

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

I get the same problem half of the time with the Patch Tool. At first it seems to work but when I zoom in and out, all of a sudden the patch becomes all black.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

In beta 1.9.0.923 the patch tool doesn't work for me too when opencl is activated. The patch tool works when opencl is deactivated.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 with driver 27.21.14.5671.

Regards, dke

• Staff

Okay I just got this now. It was reported last year but I've been unable to reproduce it. I just created a huge document and made an unrealistic-sized selection and got it but it absolutely drained my machine of all its resources as well. It took about 7 attempts. 

I will update the report.

I notice a great improvement. However, on my setup, it still happens. 

It only happens sometimes, on high resolution photos, and the resulting problem is smaller in size, but it's still there.

Here are a screenshots of before/after deselecting.

Has you can see. It's just a small black "shadow" that wasn't there before deselecting.

Captura de ecrã 2021-02-09 091401.png

Captura_de_ecrã_2021-02-09_091047.png

• Staff

I'm not convinced there was an actual fix specifically for this in the beta. There were some OpenCL fixes that may have helped with this. I believe an actual fix is coming. Saying that, I cannot reproduce it so if we can all keep our eyes on this and report back when the next beta is here, I would be very grateful :) Thanks all. 

Post here as it relates to OpenCL. Downloaded 944. The patch tool is working better. However, when I edit preferences and try to turn Open CL acceleration off nothing happens. Uncheck it, close the Preferences, reopen preferences and its checked again. Regarding the patch tool, I'm getting a slight change of colour in the patch and things like clouds just become a blur.image.thumb.png.a3a6b4b6f1675a50b195246b4d28b481.png

I also have trouble with OpenCL enabled. When zooming in I get halos - zoming one step out or in even more and the halos dissappear or appear on a different part of another layer. Also after some work the brush shows artefacts. Card: NVIDIA GTX 2050TI. When not moving the brush it dissappears after 2-3 seconds and the halos change.
The second issue: Zooming all in and working fast results in more and more lags on the mouse/brush movements. Like using a very old computer. 

I tried using the most stable studio driver 442.92 and the newest stable release 461.40. Does not do a difference. Also tried WARP as render option. Without OpenCL enabled all that problems are gone.

AffinityError1.jpg

Just tested the new beta 1.9.1.944 with the same images that were giving me problems.

Now i get no artifacts. The patch tool works fine. There is just a big lag between clicking to deselect and it actually deselecting.

During that time, i get a "not responding" info on the title bar, and AP graphics card usage oscillates between 50% and 100%.

After a while it starts responding again.

I just tested with a scanned image (AP recognizes it as a 75MP image) and it took 1 minute and 21 seconds to deselect. But the resulting image was fine.

I just runned a couple more tests, and the results are curious.

My setup as a i7 5820k with 32GB ddr4 and a GTX 1660 with 6GB. Both Windows and gpu drivers are the lastest versions.

The same image running the patch tool on the same area.

Beta 1.9.1.944 took 1m21s to deselect with opencl enabled. There seems to be a bug that doesent allow to deselect opencl at the moment.

Stable 1.9.0.932 took 2m15s to deselect with opencl enabled.

Stable 1.9.0.932 took 17s to deselect with opencl disabled.

It seems the patch tool is alot faster with opencl disabled.

Here are my benchmarks on both the latest beta and current stable.

Captura de ecrã 2021-02-10 135824.png

Captura de ecrã 2021-02-10 135551.png

3 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Thanks @Galm, that's interesting. But I would recommend running several runs, and recording the average, as there can be a bit of variance in the results.

I did run the benchmark multiple times, and got consistently higher results on the gaming driver.

As for the patch tool times, i run every test 5 times and take the 3rd result if it's not much different from the other 4 and it's indeed about 50%, faster on the same image, with the same beta just changing the driver. 

Also,  i just finished the same patch tool test on the release version, and got 1m9s. Thats also about 50% faster than the studio driver, but still slower than the opencl disabled times.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.