You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Corner Tool doesn't work to some corners after subtraction

Hi!

As you can see in the attached images, I created a rectangle and wanted to make some sort of label form outoff it. So I created four circles, placed it on the corners of the rectangle and subtracted it. Ater that, I used the Corner Tool to round the corners. But this last step only worked for some corners. Not for all. It seems that some of the corners had become converted to curve points, while others didn't. So these edges could only be formed by using the Node Tool.

I tested it in different ways. At first I subtracted every circle, one after the other. Then I added the circles together before I subtracted it and at last I added two at a time and subtracted every pair after each other. As result I got different numbers of edges that were converted to curve points on different places. But it didn't word well in any of this cases.

In the first attached sample the lower left corners don't work. The selected one is somehow blocked, the other one is a curve point. In the other sample three corners are curve points, as you can see.

Windows 10, Designer 1.8.5.703

RoundCornersIssue_1.JPG

RoundCornersIssue_2.JPG

There’s probably something irregular about the outcome of the subtraction operations, but in this particular case there’s a much easier way to achieve the desired end result. Just use the appropriate Context toolbar option for the original rectangle:

C424A4B5-1562-4D62-84EF-AB630DEACC32.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

36 minutes ago, BelAffinity said:

May I also know if corner tool can work on all points?

It only works on ‘Sharp’ nodes, not ‘Smooth’ or ‘Smart’ ones.

Alfred spacer.png

1 minute ago, BelAffinity said:

Oh I see that's sad

If you particularly need or want to use the Corner Tool on nodes which are not sharp you can simply select and convert them beforehand.

Alfred spacer.png

I found out something new about the problem. It has to do with the accuracy I placed the circles I subtracted. If the center points of this circles are placed exactly on the corners, there will be no problems with the Corner Tool. If the center points are placed just a little bit inside the rectangle, there will be one or two additional nodes after subtraction, that result from the circles, that are based each on four nodes. These nodes impede the Corner Tool. Seems that it is logical behaviour and not a bug.

Hope you understand what I mean. My english is verry bad. If not, just ask.

Edit: To make the nodes usable for the Corner Tool, it can be helpfull to rotate the circles a bit before subraction.

I attached four images that illustrate what I mean. On the second one, you can see the additional nodes, taht result from the circle. On the fourth one I rotated the circle, so that the nodes don't disturb.1.JPG.76537152ce4e089011c72d795994ead4.JPG2.JPG.b52c0e3a71bdcc6ca40d7e64d52738db.JPG3.JPG.d57b174d32af87976509c4d18890eefd.JPG

4.JPG

• 2 months later...

Not sure if it is related, but when I created an ellipse, then a square and used boolean add to these, then alt-drag it to the right and add a rectangle in between to make a handlebar, i found out that when converting the handlebar to curves, the corners behave odd, and bug out the object.

Selecting both corners in the corner tool and dragging it has the following effect:

image.thumb.png.4378c3fef4bf65b07e08152ca1da1e27.png

Note that when I undo this action and only do that on the right corner it works as expected:

image.thumb.png.a0f23f0e2d574b312682ffd163759384.png

However, when moving on to the second corner, it instantly reverts back to the inverted state (without touching it):

image.thumb.png.0b5b91d18278f91c6f704fd0224b1335.png

When alt-dragging the whole bar to create a duplicate, it looks like there is 1 point (not selectable by the corner tool) that is stuck

image.thumb.png.562d9cdfc009e0b43645cac9bd12f446.png

Now I'm a beginner so I may just be doing something horribly wrong and not have noticed.

If not, I believe this demonstration should be useful to debug the problem regarding boolean operations preceeding corner operations.

Hope this helps.

22 minutes ago, Webber said:

Not sure if it is related, but when I created an ellipse, then a square and used boolean add to these, then alt-drag it to the right and add a rectangle in between to make a handlebar, i found out that when converting the handlebar to curves, the corners behave odd, and bug out the object.

Selecting both corners in the corner tool and dragging it has the following effect:

Now I'm a beginner so I may just be doing something horribly wrong and not have noticed.

If not, I believe this demonstration should be useful to debug the problem regarding boolean operations preceeding corner operations.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that happens to me too. Not sure if it is a bug. But you can easily fix the problem by selecting the corner point where the problem exists, and then click on the button marked on my attached screenshot.

screenshot.thumb.JPG.1005d93b5dc89f87642bf6396b730546.JPG