You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am learning the in and outs of Designer and love it. I find myself using it more than Illustrator for projects now. One of the (few) problems I'm having is that when I will lock a layer then continue working and I will realize that the layer was somehow unlocked and I am editing in what was supposed to be a locked layer. For instance today I placed a scanned reference image and locked it. Then I created a pixel working layer on top of it. After a couple dozen brush stokes I realized that the brush strokes were being created on the supposedly locked layer. And the locked image layer had been rasterized. This has happened before when working strictly in a vector project. Is this a bug or do I need to do something else besides clicking the lock icon to truely lock a layer? I am using Windows 10 and a Huion drawing tablet.

8 minutes ago, Yosh said:

Is this a bug or do I need to do something else besides clicking the lock icon to truely lock a layer?

Locking a layer just prevents you from moving it

It does not prevent you from editing it - that is something that has been requested - and will (hopefully) arrive in a new update/upgrade

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

52 minutes ago, carl123 said:

Locking a layer just prevents you from moving it

It also prevents you from rotating or scaling it. In other words, it prevents you from transforming it (but that’s all it does).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

On 29. 1. 2021 at 12:00 PM, Yosh said:

Is this a bug or do I need to do something else besides clicking the lock icon to truely lock a layer?

Unfortunately, Serif doesn't understand the point of really locking layers.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

12 minutes ago, Dee Kay said:

So! How to do you really lock a layer which you do not want to be moved or changed until you decided it needs to be changed?????

I may not understand your question well, but is it not clear, that this is unfortunately not possible?

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

You can't.

Alternative options for pixel layers (no one is what you expect):

1. Add snapshot. This allows you to restore the layer at a later time (if you are able to detect that you need to)
  2. Create a copy of the layer, and paste it into another file, and save that file, to be able to restore the layer
  3. Create a new file from the layer as explained in no 2. Place the new document into the original file, and delete the old layer. The "placed" file is a image document, which is protected against any change (except rasterizing).

Again, i know none of these alternatives will match your expectations. At least i tried ;-)

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Thank you for your attempts to help me. In the past when I was more active in graphic design I used Corel Draw and then latter Adobe products and some other software. I have never had this problem with any other software!! I cannot see how this is anything other than a serious flaw. It would be like a word processor that took a verb and stuck it at the end of a sentence after you saved it. 

Looking at the thread I am wondering if the way I described my problem lacked clarity. I am working on a large document, a book which combines images with text. The images and text blocks vary in size on each page. There are guidelines set up to show where text and images can be placed as in any standard illustrated book. That is, you have a common white space and all text and images should not move outside this area into the white space. also there are page headers (with title and section) and page numbers, in this case centred below the bottom of the text/image block. This all should be straight forward with these elements set on master pages as they would be in Indesign or Pagemaker or Word. 

The problem then is that everything seems fine when I work on the page or print it and so I save it. The next time I open the same document it is not as saved! Text blocks have moved and are not centred on the page and/or have shifted above or below my guides foe top and bottom white space. So if I was doing a book, a magazine or a newspaper the layout would not be centred upon printing. 

Even when I "lock" items they still move when re-opened. So I have redo the same work of aligning images over and over again with no hope of a final stable product. 

5 minutes ago, Dee Kay said:

Looking at the thread I am wondering if the way I described my problem lacked clarity. I am working on a large document, a book which combines images with text. The images and text blocks vary in size on each page. There are guidelines set up to show where text and images can be placed as in any standard illustrated book. That is, you have a common white space and all text and images should not move outside this area into the white space. also there are page headers (with title and section) and page numbers, in this case centred below the bottom of the text/image block. This all should be straight forward with these elements set on master pages as they would be in Indesign or Pagemaker or Word. 

The problem then is that everything seems fine when I work on the page or print it and so I save it. The next time I open the same document it is not as saved! Text blocks have moved and are not centred on the page and/or have shifted above or below my guides foe top and bottom white space. So if I was doing a book, a magazine or a newspaper the layout would not be centred upon printing. 

Even when I "lock" items they still move when re-opened. So I have redo the same work of aligning images over and over again with no hope of a final stable product. 

You previously posted this question on the thread below. Where a member of the support staff requested a copy of the document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, the layer locking thing is a bit esoteric in these apps. I struggled with it when new as evidenced in the thread below. A quick search in these forums throws up lots of topics about it.

Basically, Serif have been ‘sophisticated’ about the ‘locking’ concept (and I commend their ideas). Though you could ask, have they been far more sophisticated on this than any of us need?

Even after becoming comfier with these apps, I’d still personally like a good old fashioned option to lock layers... completely, 100%, everything on them, no half measures.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Words are crude implements, difficult to get perfect, easy to get tied in knots with, and often - usually - misunderstood, which is why 'tolarence' is the best word of all.

The word "professional" fits us all - amateur, semi-pro, beginner, advanced, middle, beyond it all, and on....., because professionals are tolerant.