karim

AD: whole-file Export hangs forever (El-Cap developer beta)

I'm experiencing an infinite hang trying to export a document as either PNG or JPG in Designer.

The application itself is still responsive, except that the export operation blocks the UI: i.e.: No beachball or crash, but no progress, and no save happens... and because the export progress UI is modal, I can't even quit the application.

I'm using El Capitan 10.11.1 dev-beta, and I've tried both the release and current beta of AD. This occurs both when exporting a slice, as well as attempting to export the entire file (File -> Export).

Any help would be greatly appreciated... I'm stuck in my workflow until I can export.

I'm happy to send the AD file in question, but it's too big to attach to this thread. 

some more info:

When I actually select File -> Export, I get a system "bong" like I've hit an invalid shortcut key, and if I leave the export dialog up, it never finishes "Calculating File Size"

Sent.

Hmmm... one really weird thing I just noticed. The file in question is composed of a layer that I copied/pasted from another AFD document... The layer is a sub-set of the previous document, but this file is actually bigger on disk than the file that I copied the layer from!

Something strange definitely happened while creating this file. I'm going to go back to the source file and try again. 

---------------

Well, that didn't help much. Smaller file, but still the same problem.

Hi karim,

Sorry about this - and also sorry about the lack of update on the situation :( I've been trying all sorts and on my machine (also El Capitan 10.11.1) I can't get any file to go wrong apart from the one you sent me! :S  We're going to have to take a look at it... I *think* it's something to do with the bitmap fills on some of the items (like the beds, for example) and something terribly inefficient happening - and we really need to get that sorted...

I'll ask for this to be looked into asap. Again, I really am sorry for the delay in getting back to you - hopefully we can get it sorted out really soon :)

Thanks again,

Matt

Thanks for the update Matt. It's at least encouraging that you can actually reproduce the issue with the same file!

I can send you a much larger (read: more complicated) file that has similar techniques in play. Currently, AD is a big part of my graphics pipeline for an iOS game project, and I have a lot of work into files with that similar "rich" graphical style— I really need to be able to export  :D

I've noticed in these files that there seems to be something off about how bitmap textures are stored/referenced where the overall file size seems to grow quite dramatically with every use of a bitmap texture (even when that texture file is already used in the document). Maybe that has something to do with it?

Probably easiest thing to do would be to (privately) send you a URL where you could download the files. Would that help?

Thanks, karim! :) I know we don't reference bitmaps at present, so each time you use a bitmap fill you'll be adding the whole bitmap again - and if it's a big bitmap then that's why it'll be growing quite a lot... :(  This will obviously change in future...

Oh... I thought from a previous question thread some time ago that bitmaps were being referenced... That they're not explains a LOT... (as I'm sure you'll see if you've opened one of the larger files I sent you).

Do you know where on the roadmap that falls? For my use-case, its a pretty critical optimization, as I'm using only a handful of textures, but using them a lot. For example, one file has probably no more than 6 bitmap textures (tree foliage, grass, stone, gravel, wood-grain, water) totaling no more than 5 MB, but just the tree foliage texture is used more than 150 times (it's a forest after all...).

It's only because it's a bitmap fill that it's not being referenced - if you'd copied a raster layer and reused this many times then it would be referenced. I know we'll add this in the future - but I don't know when just yet, sorry :(

Can I reference a raster layer as a bitmap fill? Or otherwise fill a vector shape with the contents of a raster layer? Because what I need is to use the bitmaps in question on several layers of vector art (with different blend modes) to achieve the "rich" textured style I'm going for. 

Hmm, so if I understand this correctly, I can paste a source texture bitmap in as a raster layer, then paste-inside this raster layer into my vector artwork?

Then manipulate the vector layer (blend mode, etc) as needed? And that will be cheaper than bitmap fills?

Exactly. Just make sure your shape has no fill, if you want to change the blend mode of the texture, otherwise the blend will be calculated against the shape's colour instead of the layers sitting behind. Sample file attached: circle with an image clipped inside with blend mode set to multiply, all above a red background.

To do this just drag the texture from Finder to the canvas, then drag its layer over the shape layer in the Layers panel.

sample.afdesign

Thanks. I'll try this technique moving forward. Hopefully you guys can get out a fix for this, tho, as I have 30+ hours into the three files I sent Matt, and I really don't want to have to rework them all.

Also... what about bitmap brushes? Are those by reference or by copy? I'm using those a lot for the "walls" in my game areas.

I'm having the same issues .. large file sizes and hearing the 'bong' when I go to export .. I've tried to rasterize layers and simplify designs .. but I'm guessing I'm not doing things the right way for this software.

I posted my issue with another project that had bitmap fills in august Very Large File Size .. Bitmap Fills?

But now I'm on another project and it quickly ended up 96megs.. I'm used to photoshop and leaving everything in layers .. I'm not using bitmap fills or saving history .. just layers, gradients, effects & styles .. I don't think my file size should be this large. I just rasterized a bunch of items and it knocked it down to 60+Mb but that's still bigger than I'm used to. 

Hi Karim,

Don't apologise about nagging because you're not - I'm just being quite rubbish about being buried in work and not getting back to you, so I'm genuinely sorry... I did speak to the developer I wanted to talk to and it didn't throw any light on things at all... since then I've been profiling things and I can see that the bitmap fill path just needs rewriting because it's very inefficient with large images - unlike any other way in which you could use images in the program! :S It seems to spend a LOT of time resampling images and as the data gets larger, the time taken to process it grows exponentially... I did find that if I made a new blank document then went to File->Export, then set the resampler to be Bilinear, then cancel that dialog - that I could then go to export your file using File->Export and it would take only a few seconds - it was the fact that it (on mine) was set to Lanczos that was killing it and taking forever... When I open 'goblin caves.ground' file and go to Export Persona in the current beta it takes about 7 or 8 seconds to export the design @2x size (8192x8192px = 67Megapixels) which isn't terribly unreasonable, but I'd still like it to be faster...  (one thing to be aware of though is that the current beta has a ridiculous bug that inverts the user's selection of export resolutions - so you have to tick 1x and 3x and leave 2x unticked in order to actually export the 2x version! *sigh* We're hoping to release a new beta today that fixes this and many other things)

Until we've rewritten the bitmap fill code to share data I'd recommend that you use the alternative methods described (cropping pixel layers to vector outlines by simply dragging the bitmaps inside the vectors in the Layers panel) where possible as this will reduce file size and processing time - but I know you shouldn't have to deal with this, so again I offer my apologies...

If you still have problems with specific files then I'm sure I can try to help optimise them if you wanted to send them over to us?

Thanks again,

Matt

I did find that if I made a new blank document then went to File->Export, then set the resampler to be Bilinear, then cancel that dialog - that I could then go to export your file using File->Export and it would take only a few seconds - it was the fact that it (on mine) was set to Lanczos that was killing it and taking forever... 

That work-around worked great! Thanks! This will totally unblock me, and I'll build my future area textures using the paste-inside technique.

So I'm still experiencing this on a handful of files with the latest Beta. I don't get a hang forever, but exports are taking > 10 minutes for even a very simple file.

Unfortunately, the paste-inside approach doesn't really replace the bitmap fill, as there are cases where I need to repeat-fill an area larger than the source texture, and while it's technically possible to manually repeat the fill texture, it's far too impractical to do so, especially when the fill needs to have transforms on it.

Really, really need a comprehensive fix for this that includes bitmap fill by reference instead of by copy.