You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm a sewer and use PDF patterns via Adobe, the sewing world has now caught up with tech now and we are projecting our patterns via our projectors.  I have quite a few patterns from a certain company where the outline of the pattern is hard to see.  I have pulled a pattern through affinity (very new to this software) and edited last night (made the lines thicker to see and colour coded all the pieces on the pattern) but today I've tried the same pattern and adjusted to a different size (grandchildren different ages) so I can do the same as above but when I go to export it tells me it cannot be exported....I have tried other patterns and it seems they are all following and giving me problems exporting them....any advise please.

20210128_143845.jpg

Your document is template (*.aftemplate). Try SaveAs to *.afdesign, and export. Or problem with locked file? Try copy all Layers to New document.

20210128_143845.thumb.jpg.ec363a87984f8f24ea2bb336d1227dff.png.781b17ed3406d713163e91ff9d8a1c31.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

I am surprised at the .aftemplate file showing as [Locked], though. I thought that only Serif could produce locked native Affinity files.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm sorry I don't understand what a .aftermplate is I've only had the software a few days...I have tried the same pattern several times and the first one i did worked fine (first pic) then when I went back into it to edit and different size of the same pattern it's now locked (Second pic)....it cannot be the patterns as I chosen random ones from a verity of company's so quite clearly I must have touched something in the software without realising....I've even un installed and re installed but that makes no difference.  I've tried getting help via messenger  with affinity but been waiting for over an hour to be put thought to the tech people ?  Can you tell me if I'm using it correct what I do is 

1. New Doc then choose A4

2. Open the file I wish to edit 

20210129_142222.jpg

20210129_142336.jpg

21 minutes ago, Margaret Whitcombe said:

no it's nothing that the company has done with the patterns...I've selected over patterns and once I've edited them they also lock and I still cannot export them

Can you give us a pointer to one of the items you're having trouble with on their website?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Also. the Print Screen or PRT SCRN button on your keyboard makes a copy of the screen.
Pressing CTRL + V where you type your reply will paste that screenshot there.

Might come in handy..

There's also Windows-key + Shift + S. Whichever is more convenient to you.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • Intel Core i7-4770 3.40Ghz
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

39 minutes ago, Xzenor said:

Also. the Print Screen or PRT SCRN button on your keyboard makes a copy of the screen.
Pressing CTRL + V where you type your reply will paste that screenshot there.

Might come in handy..

There's also Windows-key + Shift + S. Whichever is more convenient to you.

There are also Windows utilities such as the Snipping Tool and Snip & Sketch, either of which will give you images that have small file sizes and are easy to annotate — and they’ll be much clearer than any screenshot you can produce by pointing a digital camera at the screen.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Just guessing here... but is your trial still valid? I mean.. there's a 90 day trial going on now but if you requested the trial before that then it's not 90 days.

You said you have opened and exported other documents. Can you still export one of those documents or are they locked now as well?

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

6 hours ago, Margaret Whitcombe said:

Can you tell me if I'm using it correct what I do is 

1. New Doc then choose A4

2. Open the file I wish to edit 

If you only wish to edit an existing file there’s no need to create a new A4 document beforehand.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you give us a pointer to one of the items you're having trouble with on their website?

It would be really helpful if you could do as Walt requested.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

43 minutes ago, Margaret Whitcombe said:

Sorry guys very new to this forum and don't know my way around yet...good advise what you've given me but still have the problem above

From your screenshots above, it appears that you started with a PDF file whose creator has restricted what you can do with it. That is why, after you Open the PDF, you can see [Locked] in the title of the tab you're editing it in. When you have such a restricted PDF, Affinity wil respect the file creator's wishes. It will not allow you to Save or Export the file.

Also in that screenshot, we can see a tab whose title says "<some name>.aftemplate [Locked]" which is the one that surprised me earlier. The answer to that one, I think, is that you used File > Export as Template at some point. While FIle > Save and File > Save As are completely disabled (grayed out) when you open a PDF that has restrictions,

• File > Export is not grayed out, but will be rejected if you try it; and
  • File > Export as Template is not grayed out, and will be allowed if you try it. However, it will end up with an .aftemplate file that is [Locked] if you reopen it.

A [Locked] file, whether PDF or .aftemplate (or other native Affinity format) cannot be saved, exported, or (I think) printed. Doing so would violate the original creator's restrictions.

-- Walt
PC:

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

From your screenshots above, it appears that you started with a PDF file whose creator has restricted what you can do with it. That is why, after you Open the PDF, you can see [Locked] in the title of the tab you're editing it in. When you have such a restricted PDF, Affinity wil respect the file creator's wishes. It will not allow you to Save or Export the file.

Also in that screenshot, we can see a tab whose title says "<some name>.aftemplate [Locked]" which is the one that surprised me earlier. The answer to that one, I think, is that you used File > Export as Template at some point. While FIle > Save and File > Save As are completely disabled (grayed out) when you open a PDF that has restrictions,

• File > Export is not grayed out, but will be rejected if you try it; and
  • File > Export as Template is not grayed out, and will be allowed if you try it. However, it will end up with an .aftemplate file that is [Locked] if you reopen it.

A [Locked] file, whether PDF or .aftemplate (or other native Affinity format) cannot be saved, exported, or (I think) printed. Doing so would violate the original creator's restrictions.

What Walt said.

And to Serif - with a bit of this information in the dialog than"This file does not allow exporting" the issue could be understood and resolved by the customer without a round trip to the forums. Either a bit more information or like when timelapse export is disabled due to missing codecs - a dialog with a link to a webpage with a more thorough explanation and tips if available.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

2 minutes ago, Jowday said:

or like when timelapse export is disabled due to missing codecs....

What? That exists? Can you link me to some more info on that?

a dialog with a link to a webpage with a more thorough explanation and tips if available.

Hard no here.. Have you ever experienced microsoft error links?

• 404 - this page does not exist
  • this page has moved

Bad idea. When they update the website they have to take care of all those links. it's a PITA and prone to error. An extensive help seems more useful. It's already pretty good so please let'm build on that.

• Windows 10 Pro
  • 16 GB RAM
  • Nvidia Geforce GTX 980
  • Samsung EVO 850 SSD

12 minutes ago, Xzenor said:

It's part of the 1.9 beta,  soon to be officially released.

-- Walt
PC:

9 hours ago, Xzenor said:

Hard no here.. Have you ever experienced microsoft error links?

• 404 - this page does not exist
  • this page has moved

Bad idea. When they update the website they have to take care of all those links. it's a PITA and prone to error. An extensive help seems more useful. It's already pretty good so please let'm build on that.

This is easy to deal with in a professional setup - at work we automated all this and test for it and teams collaborate and coordinate  - but just example.

It is vital that the user interface generates as few support requests as possible and as few interruptions in the workflow.

Try to place a password locked PDF in Affinity ... 

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

I was also surprised when I placed a PDF with restrictions to Designer. Behaved normally but when I tried to copy or export stuff – no go. I think it would make sense if Designer would warn when opening that PDF has restrictions and thus is not really usable.

2 hours ago, Fixx said:

I was also surprised when I placed a PDF with restrictions to Designer. Behaved normally but when I tried to copy or export stuff – no go. I think it would make sense if Designer would warn when opening that PDF has restrictions and thus is not really usable.

When I try to Place a restricted PDF in either 1.8 or 1.9 the application refuses, and tells me I cannot embed a restricted PDF. (Also happens in 1.9 if I try to Link it.)

I am only allowed to Open a restricted PDF.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I am only allowed to Open a restricted PDF.

Yes, but "Opening" a file is the beginning of work and editing for this file for most users, and Affinity should warn the user when opening a protected file that the file can only be read, not edited and saved.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

18 minutes ago, Xzenor said:

Same here.. I made a restricted pdf and when importing it in Affinity I had to provide a password.

There are at least two forms of protection/restriction:

1. A password for opening the file at all. This is supported by Affinity for Open, but not for Place (and so Place is rejected).
  2. A password for bypassing content restrictions. Affinity as far as I can tell never prompts for this password. I am not sure to what extent the restrictions are enforced when Opening the file. The file cannot be Placed.

-- Walt
PC: