You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I bought some brushes I like - they're designed for photoshop, but I'm using other photoshop brushes without any trouble. For some reason, though, these are 'breaking'. (I've attached an image, to show what I mean.)

Not all the brushes are doing it and different brushes are 'breaking' at different spots. There are strong horizontal bands where the brush either doesn't show at all, or turns into (essentially) a big fuzzy brush. Stamp-shape-based brushes from this same brush designer are NOT doing this - they work just fine. These are, I guess, texture-based brushes? (I'm new to Affinity and describing brush types, so I might not be using the right vocabulary.)

I really want to be able to use these brushes. Does anyone out there know what's going on?

Weird_lines.png

Welcome to the forum @Song Palmese

Depends if the brushes have textures, take a look at the texture tab it's normally the base texture that is broken.

Do you have a link to these brushes?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi, and thanks for the welcome.

I have looked at the textures and they seem fine (most have only one of the three available 'slots' filled, but there are a couple brushes in the set which don't break and which also only have one of three texture spaces filled).

https://www.obsidiandawn.com/brush-on-glimmer-photoshop-gimp-brushes

These are the brushes I'm using. (If you know of any other good 'magic swirl' brushes which can be used for commercial projects, I'd love to know about them.)

I found the same brushes on DeviantArt...
image.png.f38d05e3fa94ede29b9e2f4e1746bf5e.png

I think part of the issue is how the base texture has been applied in Photoshop, I think Photoshop uses a smaller texture swatch, affinity tries to fill the space for the base texture and fails as in the example above. It probably also depends on the pattern swatch used, how big was it, is it a seamless pattern etc. The only way I can think of fixing these brushes is to remove the broken texture and fill it with a better one, well a square one. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I've extracted the texture from the brush so you can see what kind of texture is being used to create the glimmer brush effect. This file is a PNG and is approx 9mb but you can export it to a JPG and that will get it to about 1.7mb 

The file looks like it's seamless but it actually isn't, there is a texture mismatch at 2116px 

Glimmer_base_texture.thumb.png.1f25b27675651969270c96c1d08666cb.png

If you have an app that can produce textures like this you can fix and even improve these brushes.

OMGosh, FirstDefence, how did you do that!? I have no idea how to extract the textures and I was going to just give up. Golly!!!! You're amazing!! Thank you!

I'm emailing with the brush designer about this; I don't know what, if anything, she'll do (I only paid 3 bucks for the brushes, so if they're not perfect, I'm not terribly upset, except insofar as I want to be able to use them, of course. I've paid more for coffee I've liked less.), but I think I could find other textures like this. Or at least tutorials on how to make textures like this. There must be instruction online, right? (Everything else in the world is online, surely this is.)

For my purposes, I'm not sure the brush textures must be seamless, although that's really the ideal, isn't it? (I'm adding 'magic swirls' to book covers.) I'll try replacing the current texture with the one you've extracted to see if that fixes things. And then I'll start hunting up textures of my very own. (I guess the step after that is nozzles, isn't it? And then, after that, I'm well and truly into making my own brushes and I'll never have time for anything else again!)

Again, omgosh, thank you so much!

You could probably make the textures like above with Affinity's Texture brush set and probably the best brush would be Brush Pattern 03 

I made these Base textures which work quite well. These were made in an app and plugin that works with Affinity called FilterForge, It's not cheap though so I'd look at finding brushes you like that work with Affinity.

I actually found these brushes on DeviantArt which is a great place for resources: https://www.deviantart.com/redheadstock/art/Brush-on-Glimmer-Photoshop-and-GIMP-Brushes-710071207 

Base textures.

1608474563_Tex-Glitter1.jpg.a2ef65bdcab4e651df682014af2365cd.jpg 

615768967_Tex-Glitter2.jpg.379697ea5bc0242051c3e587a128ec11.jpg

Oh wow! Those textures you posted are fabulous. Thank you! I'll definitely poke around on DeviantArt to see if I can find more. AND, now I'm halfway down a rabbit hole of learning to make my own brushes, so soon I'll be looking for tutorials on adding nozzles and other stuff.

You've been so helpful and kind - I'm super grateful.

You're welcome.