You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing dictionary for language [warning] in Publisher

Hi,

This is probably a silly question but I'm getting all these 'Missing dictionary for language (en-ES)' warnings in Preflight. They are probably harmless, but my Preflight is flooded with them to the point that I cannot find the few other warnings and errors that are sprinkled among them. How can I make these 'Missing dictionary for language (en-ES)' warnings go away? Thanks!

• Staff

Hi @LaraJ,

Somewhere you will have text that has (en-ES) set as the Language on the Character Panel.  You should be able to use Find and Replace to find and change this.  If you click Text>Find and on the window that pops up, click on the Cog icon and select Format and on the next screen select Character>Language and then select (En-ES) from the list and click okay.  Do the same for the Replace with box but this time select the main language of your document and click on Find, followed by Replace All.

You could also edit the text styles you've used and make use the Language is set to that of your main document.  There might even be another method that i'm missing but i'm sure someone will post it if i have :) 

• 2 months later...

I have the same problem.

My text is REALLY in portuguese and I get all these "Missing dictionary" errors.
What do they mean? Is there really a dictionary missing?

The text boxes are set to the Portuguese Language and I have no red underlined text. However, the Profiler still states that Portuguese dictionaries are missing.

58 minutes ago, rui_mac said:

I have the same problem.

My text is REALLY in portuguese and I get all these "Missing dictionary" errors.
What do they mean? Is there really a dictionary missing?

The text boxes are set to the Portuguese Language and I have no red underlined text. However, the Profiler still states that Portuguese dictionaries are missing.

Can you put the text cursor in a word in one of the text frames, and give us a screenshot showing us the Language section of the Character studio panel?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The error messages indicate that you have some text with the language set to "English as spoken in Portugal". There's no dictionary for that. You need to find all that text and change it to Portuguese. If you double-click on the error message it should take you to the text with the problem.

There are several ways you could fix that. The easiest, I think, if all your text is using text styles, is to change the text style definitions to specify the right language.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

50 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The error messages indicate that you have some text with the language set to "English as spoken in Portugal". There's no dictionary for that. You need to find all that text and change it to Portuguese. If you double-click on the error message it should take you to the text with the problem.

There are several ways you could fix that. The easiest, I think, if all your text is using text styles, is to change the text style definitions to specify the right language.

Thank you!!! That was it. Now it only reports spelling mistakes, because I had to include some english words in my Portuguese text :)

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, PracowniaBuszu said:

it seems I have similar problem. I probably click on something and now I cannot write in my linguage. What could have gone wrong?

I'm not sure what the circled items in the screenshot represent.

For the Preflight warning messages, put the cursor in one of the words and then look in the Character panel. In the Language settings, what do you see for Spelling?

You say "and now" you cannot write in your language. What has changed since you could? have you switched machines? Have you changed from V1 to V2? Something else?

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 months later...

I have this issue as well, apparently australian english is an unknown language.

Also if i switch to british, it still tells me im spelling words wrong even though australian and british english are the same thing.

Is there a way to set the default language so it doesn't set my language to en-au every time i start a document ?

7 hours ago, BunnyViking said:

Is there a way to set the default language so it doesn't set my language to en-au every time i start a document ?

Are you on macOS or Windows?

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, BunnyViking said:

My workaround in V1 was to adjust the "Defaults" accordingly to get rid of an erroneously missing language (like "de-en"):

1. Create a text frame and set its spelling language as wanted.
2. Go to menu File > Defaults
3. Select first the Synchronize then the Save option.
4. Relaunch the app.

defaultslanguage1.jpg.ba4395490d8da1fd64673de8f2b38748.jpg

Now with no document opened (greyed-out UI) it looks like this to me, and every new frame gets created with my set German language.

defaultslanguage2.jpg.733a0b89f61ca8c6a59f24157cfce376.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 4 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 1:56 PM, stokerg said:

Hi @LaraJ,

Somewhere you will have text that has (en-ES) set as the Language on the Character Panel.  You should be able to use Find and Replace to find and change this.  If you click Text>Find and on the window that pops up, click on the Cog icon and select Format and on the next screen select Character>Language and then select (En-ES) from the list and click okay.  Do the same for the Replace with box but this time select the main language of your document and click on Find, followed by Replace All.

You could also edit the text styles you've used and make use the Language is set to that of your main document.  There might even be another method that i'm missing but i'm sure someone will post it if i have :) 

It helped, thank you.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having the same issue in v2. any suggestions?

Tzvi 9_9

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

14 minutes ago, tzvi20 said:

I am having the same issue in v2. any suggestions?

If the preceding discussion hasn't helped, we'll need more details of exactly what you're seeing, what OS you're using, what your system Language and keyboard settings are, and how you're creating the documents that have the problem.

-- Walt
PC:

I am using

missing language.jpg

Tzvi 9_9

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.0 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.0 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.0 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

hebrew english. I downloaded the dictionary from GitHub, and changed on windows to English united states also and @stokerg's directions but did not work.

Tzvi 9_9

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

2 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

hebrew english. I downloaded the dictionary from GitHub, and changed on windows to English united states also and @stokerg's directions but did not work.

The files are probably not installed correctly. Where are your dictionaries stored? Unless you've changed the default location in settings, your files should be:

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\he_IL\he_IL.aff
C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Common\2.0\Dictionaries\he_IL\he_IL.dic

You must restart Affinity after installing dictionaries.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

11 hours ago, tzvi20 said:

I downloaded the dictionary from GitHub

My first guess would be that you downloaded them incorrectly, as it's very tricky to download them from GitHub properly. That's why Serif provides a set of them in the second post in the FAQ, which will download correctly.

If you open each of the files you downloaded in a plain text editor, do you see something that looks like it should, or do you see HTML text? If it's HTML text, you need to download again.

-- Walt
PC:

it was not HTML he_IL (1).dic

Tzvi 9_9

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6