You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo shuts down unexpectedly

PPCW

I own the version 1.8.5.703 of Affinity Photo (Windows 10, version 20H2). When I am working on a file, whatever it is (ARW from Sony, NEF from Nikon, TIFF, …) or when I am resizing the app window, Affinity Photo shuts down unexpectedly.

What could do to fix this issue?

Thank you,

Philippe

• Staff

Hey PPCW, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

Can you check for crash reports here please:

C:\Users\your username\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\1.0\CrashReports\reports

It sounds like it might not be image-secific if you are using a number of formats so there might be little point in asking for a file...

Hi!

I'm evaluating Affinity Photo for an article on my blog, as well as for puchase (I'm a photographer), and I find that I have the same issues. Unexpected shutdown at strange moments. I've taken your advice and shared all the crash reports from the location mentioned above. Here is a wetransfer link: https://we.tl/t-fReFPzsadx

There are 10 of them and I've only been using the app for a few hours. It has happened irrespective of file format, but most often when trying to load a PSD, CR2 file, or layered TIFF, but not always while loading the file.

I look forward to a fix.

Just to be clearer, I thought it was because I was using the (latest) Nvidia Studio Drivers, so I installed the Game Ready drivers instead. No change.

I use a GTX 1060 6GB. Currently using driver 461.40

It doesn't seem to be too little system RAM, because about 6 GB was free at the time of the last crash (out of a total of 16GB).

15 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Hello Susheel.c, welcome to the Affinity Forums.

You are seeing the nvwgf2umx.dll crash which is an Nvidia crash. We pinned it back to Capture One. Can you confirm if you have Capture One installed or installed at some point?

Yes. I do have Capture One installed. I need it for my work. What are your suggestions on how I should proceed?

• Staff

Thanks for confirming. There are a few things to try:

First, try disabling this:
image.png

Restart once you have done that. If that doesn't work, I have read that simply uninstalling Capture One and reinstalling the latest version has worked for some. 

As a last resort, you can switch to WARP in Affinity from Preferences > Performance. This means your GPU will not be used and you will fall back to software rendering so the app will be slightly slower with some things.

This issue usually shows its head when stitching or stacking. The crash should not occur from general use.

53 minutes ago, Chris B said:

This issue usually shows its head when stitching or stacking. The crash should not occur from general use.

Thank you very much. I'll try these steps one by one and let you know if it is fixed.

However, I should inform you that while one crash was while working with stacked groups, many others were not associated with stacking, or any action that I could pinpoint. Sometimes while selecting a tool, and at other times, while literally doing nothing.

• 2 weeks later...