You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Those mittens! I've jumped on the bandwagon.

Kasper-V

Utterly apolitical, I promise! I'm not even from the US, so I have no axe to grind. As everyone on the interweb seems to be popping Bernie Sanders into humorous settings, I thought I'd have a go myself. I looked for the largest photos I could find, as it's much easier to work at the larger size -- and the mistakes are less obvious when I save the jpeg at a much smaller size (I hope!).

OK, the first one is The Night Watch by Rembrandt (but you know that).
I found a copy of Mr Sanders' photo online and selected out the figure and the chair. After some trial and error, I thought this was the best position to place him, but I had to flip the image to make the perspective of the chair to match. Fortunately he's fairly symmetrical, so it's not obvious. I made a slight Curves adjustment to get the contrast more or less right. Then I selected a section from the costumes of the figures in the background, upper left , applied an Average blur to it and laid it over the Mr S layer, set the blend mode to Overlay, and dialled down the opacity till the colours looked right. Finally I made a selection with the Pen tool and used that for a mask to put him behind the chap in front.
I ought to have removed that dog, I suppose -- or moved it back a little so it doesn't look as if it's under the chair.

NightWatch-001.jpg.7f3db382f5624de6659cca43ef7c70eb.jpg

And this is Luncheon of the Boating Party by Renoir.
I used the same original image I'd extracted for the previous pic and masked out parts of the Renoir to out him behind the table. Then I Cloned in some background to remove the chap who was originally sitting there -- a little bit of his head and shoulders was still visible. I made the same adjustments as before, including the colour overlay (from the big fellow's arm on the left) to try and match the skin tones.
Now here's the clever part! I made a copy of the Bernie layer and its adjustments and rasterised it. (This way I still had the group intact if I made a mess of it.) I opened the Paint Mixer brush and selected the Impressionist Oil 01 brush, set the foreground colour to none, and painted brush strokes over the raster Bernie, making sure I had Auto Load Brush on and clicking Clean Brush frequently. In this way I made the texture match the rest of the painting and not look like a photograph. I didn't need to do this with the Rembrandt, as his style is photographic.

BoatingParty.jpg.b00bac11ad40ca88c4ac8ed82cfbffcc.jpg

Bernie looks right at home with Rembrandt and suitably annoyed at capitalists enjoying themselves with Renoir.   These are truly inspired!!   Very very funny.  

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

18 hours ago, Ren De said:

Just want to add a thank you for the detailed description of your processes!

I don't think my painting would stand up to scrutiny on a larger scale, Ren. If I were thinking of printing the image at , say, A2 or larger, I'd have to take a lot more trouble because Renoir's brushwork would be more detailed. And I don't know if I'd have the nerve or the bare-faced cheek to compete with the Masters! But on the small scale, it works well; you could use it to make a whole photo look like a painting.

And to set aside the humour for a moment, I think we often look for a quick way to achieve an effect or a look in our editing; but sometimes we have to accept that it can take time and effort to make a good piece of work. And it's worth it!