You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher Customer Beta - 1.9.0.920 (RC3)

• Staff

Purpose: Updates and Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not Submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Available

---

We are pleased to announce that Affinity Publisher Customer Beta 1.9.0.920 is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app, it’s worth noting that the beta will install as a separate app - alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

This beta is significant update from the 1.8 version available for purchase - we strongly recommend that you do not use this beta for real work as data could be lost and the files you save are not guaranteed to open in previous or future versions of Affinity Publisher.

---

Fixes And Improvements

• Fixed recent regression whereby loading documents with missing linked images on master pages could crash
  • Fixed recent regression where the document Image Placement Policy was not always honoured resulting in incorrect image Linked / Embedded status

---

Release Notes for 1.9.0.911

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

My last version i used was the 1.8.5.703

And this one is faster for sure. Like this program was not fast enough already. 
it's crazy fast now. I have a document on 155 A4 pages and it opened in 2-3 seconds.
Anyway i tried out some general things like effects, Table, placement of images and export. 
Everything of that worked as it should. I had problems with export in the 1.8.5.703 version with large documents but that is fixed here.
And even the export speed is greatly increased here.

One strange thing though is that there came 12 new text styles called "Text body" (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) when i opened the document.
I deleted those to see if it affected any text in my document but it did not. 

And i could not get "outer shadow" to work but i have never used it before so i'm not sure if that is supposed to work on text.

I would say great job guys and this is worth releasing only because of the export fix.

You may want to get this little bugger fixed before release:

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

• Staff
8 hours ago, Jowday said:

You may want to get this little bugger fixed before release

I think that can wait for a patch, as it does not materially affect the application. Any change tends to kick off the localisation being "out of sync" and risks the corrected English string appearing in the localised languages, which is worse than a missing 'h'. I know this sounds like something that is easy to override, but this close to release there are lots of balls in the air and nobody is going to stop using the software over a spelling mistake.

@Pauls one for 1.9.1 here auto-hypenation

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

17 hours ago, AlanPickup said:

Text changing sizes when grouping multiple layers still in this latest version 1.9.0.920 (RC3)

This seems to happen when either of the text frames has previously been scaled with the bottom right text frame tool. I wonder if grouping reapplies the font size scaling a 2nd time.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

Checking the text that changes it is 12pt, often with resizing the pt size shows fractions. If you want to have a look further I posted before and after APub files in Designer Beta on windows where someone had the same expereince with imported pdfs and mods ahd asked for a sample. Attaching here also 

Before_Grouping.afpub

After_Grouping.afpub

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

5 hours ago, Patrick Connor said:

I think that can wait for a patch, as it does not materially affect the application. Any change tends to kick off the localisation being "out of sync" and risks the corrected English string appearing in the localised languages, which is worse than a missing 'h'. I know this sounds like something that is easy to override, but this close to release there are lots of balls in the air and nobody is going to stop using the software over a spelling mistake.

@Pauls one for 1.9.1 here auto-hypenation

Naturally - I didn't suggest it would cause an uproar 🙂- just hinting that it was better to report and fix it in the 1.9 branch than overseeing it for some time in the release forum.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

4 hours ago, AlanPickup said:

Checking the text that changes it is 12pt, often with resizing the pt size shows fractions. If you want to have a look further I posted before and after APub files in Designer Beta on windows where someone had the same expereince with imported pdfs and mods ahd asked for a sample. Attaching here also 

This text-box bug have in all Affinity programs, I found in Photo too.

One strange thing though is that there came 12 new text styles called "Text body" (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12) when i opened the document.

That was wrong. Those Text body styles crept into my 1.8.5.703 document when I copied work from Affinity Designer straight into the Affinity Publisher document.
So the beta had nothing to do with it.

• Staff

@Desmild

Please can you make a bugs post about your findings in the 1.8.5 release version, to make sure this issue does not go missing in the beta testing of 1.9.0

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

@AHAM

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Thanks for coming back to report this success. Sorry we did not specifically reply to your initial report, but it was noted and appreciated.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

On 1/29/2021 at 5:33 PM, Patrick Connor said:

@AHAM

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums :) 

Thanks for coming back to report this success. Sorry we did not specifically reply to your initial report, but it was noted and appreciated.

Ops i thought your team really want to fix that. BTW Thanks again. I can use it peacefully now 😊

3 hours ago, FR76 said:

When the Affinity 1.9 official release will be available to download?

Probably soon, but Serif generally does not give dates. They need to coordinate the release across all 3 applications and all 3 OSes, so it's a bit tricky.

It will be announced here in the forums when it's released (Follow this topic for notification). If you've signed up for emails from Serif marketing you'll also get an email from them. Or when you start the 1.8 application it will tell you there's an update available, though this may depend on which Store you purchased from.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.