You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Same effect here on files from my Canon M50. This on a Lenovo Thinkpad Gen2 with a high spec. Attached files show focus merging of same files on Beta 911 & Affinity Photo build 703. Also much slower processing the raw files in Beta 911. First two are beta version raw & jpeg other two are same from production version 703.

Focus Merge Beta 911 from cr3 files.png

Focus Merge Beta 911 from jpegs.png

Focus Merge Production 703 from cr3 files.png

Focus Merge Production 703 from jpegs.png

Hi Chris & Wayne, These are the results I got from build 923. As you can see the source stack shows a similar effect for image 1652 in the raw stack as your image 1028 but the jpeg stack shows this as a normal image. I'm not sure if the raw stack used this image or not. The images were straight out of my Canon M50 set to capture raw + jpeg. Wayne, have you tried focus stacking the jpegs in 923 in case it's a problem with processing the raw files from your camera?1711774052_FocusMergeBeta923fromcr3files.thumb.png.5106e86b7ba83d1d35fa53ec40f22ef8.png2020557534_FocusMergeBeta923fromjpegs.thumb.png.843cd5cd8906ceba14281cbc447dbef9.png

42 minutes ago, footeg said:

Wayne, have you tried focus stacking the jpegs in 923 in case it's a problem with processing the raw files from your camera?

Well, as a result of my not saving the screen shots correctly, I have now done the jpg focus merge many times.  I did two runs, i.e. from a closed program.  In the first run, the first merge worked but the second one didn't.  In the second run, the first two merges worked but the third failed.  That's what this screen shot is from.  Curiously it shows a grey main window, a corrupted source thumbnail but a good merged thumbnail in the sources panel and at the bottom in the navigator a good thumbnail.  So, I tried to save the image, and it saves as a good image, it just doesn't display anything in the main window.  i did some in program edits, just a gray screen.  I sent the image out to a photoshop plugin, where it looked good, but came back just gray.    very peculiar.

focusmergejpg-923.jpg

Hi both, I disabled OpenCL & tried several stacks on both raw & jpegs all of which worked as expected (ie  same as stable version). This was even without closing previous merged images. In fact the process seemed to run faster without this enabled. I hope this helps. Geoff

Ok, I believe the OpenCL support is the culprit here.  I disabled openCL and the merge works as expected. 

Here are my timings:  No-opencl ------------------------------ 1:23 (one minute 23 seconds)

opencl 4.60  driver 456.71 ------1:32

opencl 4.60 driver 461.4  over -4 minutes before I gave up on it.

version 1.8.5.703       with GTX1050 selected -----------1:20

While trying to find out my opencl version, I discovered on NVidia's support site that there was a newer version of the driver package available, this is Nvidia 461.4. Now this installs the same core version of OpenCl,  4.6 but is a newer driver than I had installed (Nvidia 456.71 which windows installed on 1/6/21 but which was released by Nvidia 10/20/20).

Curiously enough, the new Nvidia driver said this in it's release notes: "The January NVIDIA Studio Driver provides optimal support for the latest creative applications including Affinity Photo (now with GPU-acceleration) "

That statement was what prompted me to upgrade to the latest driver package.  Unfortunately, it has rendered the latest beta of photo unusable if opencl is enabled.

It's curious that the stable version 1.8 has a different acceleration set of options than in the new beta.  I have GTX1050 support enabled.  Seems like a step backwards to me. 

Edited by Wayne Wilson
clarification

Thanks for this info Wayne. As far as I can see the only difference between 1.8 & 1.9 in the acceleration options is the option to use OpenCL. Are there any other differences. Not sure what Nvidia driver version I have or to find out but I'll ignore the update for the moment. Geoff

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.