You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've a design going to print but because of the process involved I have been asked to separate fine line content (small text and thin lines) from filled areas (polygons) and assign them to two separate spot colours, even though they are printed using the same colour. In AD I can set up two different spot colours referencing the same Pantone colour from the swatches, name them differently and assign them to the associated objects in the design. However, when I come to export it seems that the same (first) colour is used for both groups of objects. Honour Spot Colours is checked in the export settings.

So, is this a limitation of the PDF format (I'm guessing not as I wouldn't have expected the printer to ask for this), or just how the export works trying to consolidate colours? Any thoughts on the correct way to do this?

(My "safety net" is to tweak one of the colours slightly but instruct the printer to ignore the preview colour and use the same Pantone reference for them both).