You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Can I create embedded documents inside one file?

Hi!

I wonder if I can create embedded object from a regular object, say, rectangle, inside one afdesign file? (Well yes, like Photoshop creating smart objects).

Now it works fine dragging affinity documents inside another affinity documents, just when I have to create several independent objects it takes time to create those outside the main file.

I just don't see the point of dragging & dropping if the dropped file is no longer affected outside the parent file.

Cheers,

Anton.

• Staff

Hi Anton,

I'm a little bit confused, but are you trying to create multiple objects in one document and then save these as separate Affinity files but keep them embedded in the document to save time. Is this correct?

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

That's exactly my point, I'd rather create embedded document like a smart object — somehow with a button from inside the document.

E.g. create rectangle — make it embedded document to edit it in the future. But I guess it should be in a different thread :)

Not really, because all symbols always have same attributes. And I need to have 1 source object and other objects could be, for example, smaller.
I can illustrate my words with my latest uploads: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13193-resources-for-mobile-app-designers-—-mockup-and-icon-extracting-tool/

Files for creating icons contain 1 source file (embedded document) and some number of dependable objects but in different sizes. But the only way to create source file is to drag& drop it. And after that it's not needed (as it would be inside other file) so it can be deleted. It seems like excessive actions. So I'm wondering if I can create an embedded document somehow from inside the original file and edit it then with Edit Document button.

Sorry if I'm being confusing :) I just don't know how to put it in other words.

• 1 month later...

footof. I think understand what you might mean. So in my mind I thought  this how the embed should work. You embed a document inside another document and let's say you are working on a large-scale project with multiple people. One aspect of your file is connected to a document that one of your team members are working on As they continue to work  and update their file  your file receives the update maybe in a time interval, or when you open your file or perhaps click a button to update.  That way  if an update is made every file that references the embedded document will be updated to reflect the change. Currently, the embed document is added to the current document and all connections to the original file is discarded. you can only update the embed file from within the file it is embedded in. It would be awesome if there was an option to select how the embedded file is referenced so you could use either one of the methods.