You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Real time embedded document editing?

In the AD overview movie you show an embedded AD logo on a photo of a billboard moving around in real time – perspectively distorted (not just skewed as far as I can tell) and with a transparent gradient on top. A great feature but I never stumbled upon it. Did I miss something?

See screenshot (uploading doesn’t work): https://www.dropbox.com/s/rwaewx7r3cd429a/true%20perspective.jpg?dl=0

• Staff

It's there now Matthias - simply use the Place tool to place one Affinity Designer document inside another (or PSD, Freehand, PDF, etc.)

Double click the placed document to edit it :)

It can be quite useful - because you can embed documents in different colour spaces (embed CMYK in RGB, etc. etc.)

AndyS

Wow, great! I guess I have to dive in quite a bit deeper (by starting to actually use AD on paid projects). Really looking forward to how the Affinity suite thing will work. After all those dark AI-years I hope It will finally change my workflow to a state of creation bliss again.

• 2 years later...
  • Staff

Hi bendito33,

You have to switch the whole document to Affinity Photo (menu File ▸ Edit in Photo...) then double-click the embedded document there to open it in a new document tab. There's no way to open an embedded document in another app other than the one where you have the original (main) document opened.

Sorry if I hijack this thread but since the question is very related (and to some degree mentioned by OP), I dare to do so:

Is it possible to distord an embedded file?

I especially looking for this fancy mockup previews that are displayed on smartphones and tablets from a perspective angle.

• Staff

No, sorry. Currently Affinity Designer doesn't have neither a vector based Perspective Tool nor a Mesh Warp Distortion Tool (this last one is already on Designer's roadmap to be implemented in a future version). Currently your only option is to move the document from Designer to Photo, add the Live Perspective Filter there and move the document back to Designer (where you can still edit the Live Perspective Filter if needed without changing to Photo again) - assuming you also have Affinity Photo...

• 4 months later...

I hope I'm not beating a dead horse but I need some clarification. In the "Affinity Designer: the perfect tool for UI and UX design" video, the speaker talks about (between 13:40 & 14:10) placing his embedded app design in the iPhone mock-up image with "perspective distortion." How do I do this? I've tried using Perspective Filter (source mode) but it hasn't worked for me yet.

• Staff

Hi ShakeamXD,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

In the video they have placed a white rectangle over the iPhone image, then applied a Live Perspective filter to this rectangle (in the video the live perspective filter is nested to the rectangle layer - they dragged the filter layer over the thumbnail of the rectangle layer in the Layers panel to achieve this*). Finally they added the embedded document (iphone app layouts), adjusted it's position to match the top left corner of the white rectangle and dragged its layer over the rectangle layer (not over the thumbnail but over the area on the right) and fine tuned the embedded document position again.

Here's the steps to get there:

- draw your white rectangle (with the same proportions of an iPhone or the device you are using) over the iphone image aligning the top left corner of the white rectangle with the top left corner of the iphone screen on the image

- apply/add a Live Perspective filter to the white rectangle (drag the Live Perspective filter layer over the thumbnail of the white rectangle layer to nest it if the Live Perspective filter was placed above the white rectangle layer in the Layers panel).

- double click the Perspective Filter to edit it - set it to Destination Mode and drag the corners of the perspective grid on canvas over the iPhone screen to match its position (the white rectangle perspective will be adjusted while you drag the perspective grid corners).

- embed the external iPhone layouts document you created previously dragging the document from Finder (or Windows Explorer if you are using Windows) over the existing mockups document and select the artboard you want to display from the context toolbar as shown in the video.

- position the top left corner of the embedded document over the top left corner of the (now perspective corrected) white rectangle on canvas

- drag the embedded document layer over the white rectangle layer in the Layers panel (over the right part of the layer not over its thumbnail).

- adjust/fine-tune the embedded document position on canvas if needed.

Since both the iphone layouts on the embedded document and the white rectangle you have drawn have the same proportions there shouldn't be any distortion to the iphone layouts when placed over the image (other than the perspective distortion itself obviously).

* There's a setting in the Assistant (menu View ▸ Assistant Manager...) to nest the filter layer to the selected layer automatically when you add it too.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

• 5 years later...

Hi there! 

I don't know if there is other topic related to this but...

I'm editing a file where its the final file of a project, in which I have a picture of a room, a wooden frame placed into a wall and an artwork inside of the frame.
The other file I'm working on this project its the artwork itself. 

So my will is: I want to work at this artwork's file and have the room file opened in another window to see in real time the changes I made in the artwork and how it looks at the final version (the picture of the room with the artwork inside it).

Could you give me a light?