You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Curves picker not working as expected in color channels

Hello,

think this is a bug but not 100% sure. In a nutshell, using the picker to create a curves node in a specific color channel (within the curves tool) does not place the node according to the color, but rather according to the overall luminosity. 

I'm using Affinity Photo 1.8.5.703 on Windows 10. I first noticed it with a photo I was editing in Lab Color mode, but I can repro with a fresh document with a simple color gradient. I've also reproduced it in RGB mode, but let me outline the steps in Lab mode:

1. Create a new document.
  2. Convert to LAB Color mode. (I'm not sure if this matters.)
  3. Add a pixel layer, and fill it with a linear gradient going from {L=0 A=-128 B=127} on the left, to {L=100 A=127 B=-127} on the right (note the negative symbols). 
  4. Add a Curves adjustment layer, and choose LAB from the first curves dropdown.
  5. Choose AOpponent from the second curves dropdown, and click Picker.

Now, notice from my screenshots that if you use the Picker and drag from a point on the far right of the image, it adds a node to the curve. Note the LAB values of that pixel from the Info panel, and see that the A and B are complete opposites of each other. However, if you then do the same thing with the BOpponent selected, it adds the node to the same point in the curve.

What I would expect here is that the node is added far to the right in the BOpponent curve, when the B is high for that pixel (and to the left when low).... and similarly for A. However, what appears to be happening is that it places the node based on the brightness (maybe the L value?) of the pixel, no matter what channel is selected in that second dropdown.

I have attached my file so you can try yourself. Please let me know if I'm doing something wrong, or... if it's a bug, that would be great to know too!

Thank you!  :-)

2021-01-26_19h05_07.png

2021-01-26_19h07_37.png

2021-01-26_19h08_17.png

2021-01-26_19h08_56.png

curvesGradientTest.afphoto

• 1 month later...