You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where have the RAW pics gone ?

I purchased a new MacBook Pro a few days ago, and am learning how to use Affinity on the Mac vs Affinity on iPad.

When I open Affinity on iPad, there is a + sign top right corner which then gives me the options for bringing the file into the program.  In my case, this is the Photos App and as you can see from attached, the RAW files are listed.

I uploaded all my Photos from iCloud to the new Mac, and they are all there - RAW and Processed (now jpeg)

When I open Affinity > File > Open, the RAW files are not visible in any of the dialogue boxes that I have been able to discover.  Grateful if someone would tell me what I am doing wrong !

Thanks in advance

989A236A-E13D-4E15-A2D1-8BAE3BDF1DF5.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Thanks for your response.

I realize that File>Open will take me to the pictures for upload into Affinity desktop for processing.

As you can see from the attached screenshot, the available images are .jpeg or .heic (which are pictures taken with my iPhone).

The RAW images taken with my Sony camera are not visible, I believe the file extension is .arw   I do not know if this is because of a setting in Affinity or some other issue, but when I go to open a file in Affinity iPad the RAW files are there.

I have tried all the different potential places in the screenshot below and I cannot find them.  They are in Photos per my first post.

30953A5D-167B-4085-9BD1-03AE28DCE7B5.jpeg.18e2689a55942ec8e572485263b84db4.jpeg

2 hours ago, jimfastcar said:

The RAW images taken with my Sony camera are not visible, I believe the file extension is .arw 

I tried a file with the extension *.arw, and APhoto (Win) sees it.

2 hours ago, jimfastcar said:

I have tried all the different potential places in the screenshot below and I cannot find them.  They are in Photos per my first post.

In your first post is Recents location. Try transferring raw file to another folder, such as Documents.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi @jimfastcar,

Sorry to see you're having trouble here!

I can see from your Apple Photos screenshot that you have RAW files available in your library, however the screenshot from within Affinity Photo isn't showing any of the same images from the first screenshot to my knowledge so you might be looking in the incorrect location of Photos.

If you browse through your Photos library in File>Open, to the same folder/date as the screenshot of your Photos library, can you see the RAW files from here? Or do you only see the non-RAW files from this butterfly shoot?

Many thanks in advance :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Hi @jimfastcar,

Sorry to see you're having trouble here!

I can see from your Apple Photos screenshot that you have RAW files available in your library, however the screenshot from within Affinity Photo isn't showing any of the same images from the first screenshot to my knowledge so you might be looking in the incorrect location of Photos.

If you browse through your Photos library in File>Open, to the same folder/date as the screenshot of your Photos library, can you see the RAW files from here? Or do you only see the non-RAW files from this butterfly shoot?

Many thanks in advance :) 

Thanks for your response.

Attached is a screenshot of File > Open in Affinity Mac showing that from Photos, the only available pictures are the already processed ones. (This processing was done AP iPad)

The first screenshot is of Photos on the Mac, showing that the RAW Butterfly pictures did indeed come over to the Photos App.  I only chose to Edit 3 of them.

This is very odd, I have no idea why this is happening.  Some of the suggestions are to load pictures into iCloud, etc, but I am sure you can appreciate this would dramatically affect workflow.  On the iPad I would upload pictures physically from the SD card, I would then scrub in Photos only keeping the ones I wanted to work on. After Editing in AP, I would simply keep both the RAW and Edited in Photos and upload to DropBox for backup.  I hoped to do the same with AP Mac by either connecting the SD Card reader to USB C port, or the camera directly to USB C.

Aside from my perception (?) that AP Desktop is more robust than AP iPad, I am running into space problems on the iPad 

I was thinking last night that perhaps I do not have the latest version of AP Mac, which is 1.8.6, but per Google, it does appear to be.

This is the newest MacBook Pro, and it runs the new OS BigSur

Screen_Shot_2021-01-28_at_8_03_03_AM.thumb.png.bbc4cd8f48c62b413627a417ae588297.png1165536068_ScreenShot2021-01-28at7_59_42AM.thumb.png.9f8f58f8e01d4e0426a9dffac6143270.png

Edited by jimfastcar
additional information

• Staff

Many thanks for confirming that for me!

I've checked here and I can confirm I'm seeing RAW files when accessing Apple Photos through Affinity Photo > Open - 

Screenshot 2021-01-28 at 15.07.43.png

I suspect this may be due to your Apple Photos settings, either on your Mac or on your iPad. Firstly please open System Preferences > Apple ID. Here you should see a list of apps that are using iCloud. Is Photos ticked here please?

Secondly, please open Apple Photos, then navigate to Photos > Preferences in the dialog that opens select 'iCloud', then take a screenshot of your settings here and attach it to your reply.

Many thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

I changed the setting in MacBook Photos to "Download Originals to the Mac", and am now seeing 2 files for every picture !

An .ARW (which I assume is the Sony RAW format), and the .jepg, which is the processed picture.

It is interesting, because when looking at the pictures in Photos on the iPad, the RAW files are visibly labeled per my post above.

Attached is a screenshot AP Mac with the mouse pointer over one of the .ARW files.   I think my problem might be solved.Look forward to Dan C comment.  Thanks 

Screen_Shot_2021-01-28_at_8_42.01_PM.thumb.png.a4e51687e4844d049a05912fe01fb637.png

• Staff
10 hours ago, jimfastcar said:

I changed the setting in MacBook Photos to "Download Originals to the Mac",

Thanks for your screenshots Jim, this is the option I was going to ask you to check :)

10 hours ago, jimfastcar said:

(I) am now seeing 2 files for every picture ! An .ARW (which I assume is the Sony RAW format), and the .jepg, which is the processed picture.

This isn't too surprising to me, as there are technically 2 versions of the same file after you have edited the RAW file and saved these edits back to Photos. Apple displays these 2 files as one file on your iPad, as they group together photos based on 'versions'. (the RAW being version 1, the edited being version 2). I believe what you're seeing is that Finder cannot display the images in the same way, so instead it displays the RAW image next to the edited image, so that you can pick either one for editing.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

Many thanks!

2 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your screenshots Jim, this is the option I was going to ask you to check :)

This isn't too surprising to me, as there are technically 2 versions of the same file after you have edited the RAW file and saved these edits back to Photos. Apple displays these 2 files as one file on your iPad, as they group together photos based on 'versions'. (the RAW being version 1, the edited being version 2). I believe what you're seeing is that Finder cannot display the images in the same way, so instead it displays the RAW image next to the edited image, so that you can pick either one for editing.

I hope this clears things up!

Thanks, I believe the question i us resolved.  Much appreciated 1