You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer 1.8.6: Color selection issue

Hi there:

I am not sure if this is a bug or not.  I am having difficulty selecting a color for a design that I am working on and I am not sure if it is a bug or something else.  I use a MacBook Pro 13" running MacOS 10.15.7 (Catalina).

The difficulty that I have found relates to selecting different shades of orange - I have put a sample together - included below - which renders perfectly below which I also don't understand.  On my machine whether it be the .afdesign file or a JPG/PNG/SVG, all of the colors are rendering as #FF0000.

I am trying to figure out why this is happening and would welcome advise/comments.

Thanks so much.

-Michael

Tribulation_Orange_01262021.jpg

Hi there:

I am still trying to find a solution to the problem that I reported yesterday.  I am not sure if it is reproduce-able issue as I don't have another platform to try it out on.  If anyone has any insights that they could share, I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks so much and enjoy your day.

-Michael

It depends on your intended final output - what will it be for? That setup is a sensible default for digital work.

To explain, it wasn't broken before - it's just that the colour space you had was beyond the capabilities of your monitor (or your monitor is just not well calibrated). sRGB contains less extreme colours which fall within what your monitor can display.

Hi there:

Cool... I am using an Apple MacBook - I haven't run into that issue before - it is calibrated to use the Color LCD profile which seems to be default.  I will do some more reading - if you can recommend something I would appreciate that.  And thanks so much for your help and explanation... much appreciated :)

Thanks.

-Michael

Most of the time a "near enough" screen will do the job, but when using such a large gamut (which would be clipping as no monitor will get close to that range) it will show any issues like this. I'm not a mac user, but I found this for calibration which might help a bit:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1109/mac

If you want to do it properly you need a colorimeter/spectrophotometer that hangs on the screen to measure it. X-Rite do decent versions. Whether you need that kind of colour accuracy is another question. Unless you know for sure you need to produce a wide-gamut output I'd stick with sRGB.

Thanks so much  - I'm absolutely fine with general calibration - my needs are definitely not specific :)   Thanks for the article link - I will have a read and see if there are any tweaks that I can or need to make.

All the best, and thanks for you help.  I do appreciate it very much.

-Michael