You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

4 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

I see webp in my Mac no problem here a example:

Do you get it displayed natively by macOS – or via an additional interpreter? According to this Apple discussion (Jan 2021) and that workaround (mar 2020) it appears WebP is not supported by macOS itself.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Just now, thomaso said:

Do you get it displayed natively by macOS – or via an additional interpreter? According to this Apple discussion (Jan 2021) and that workaround (mar 2020) it appears WebP is not supported by macOS itself.

The image I showed you is in Big Sur a folder with webp images and a click with my space bar on the image to open the gallery.

6 minutes ago, intermagic said:
11 minutes ago, All Media Lab said:

I see webp in my Mac no problem here a example:

Yes, but @tomaso could refer to Safari,

No, I did not mean in a browser window (there it displays for me, too). But as preview in macOS Quicklook and Finder and opened in Apple's Preview.app. (see links in my recent post above)

52 minutes ago, intermagic said:

That's all I want: A few clear (and contextual) words about the status.

Serif doesn't do such kind of reassurance in general (since they stopped publishing their road map years ago, probably for reasons), it's nothing special for WebP only but also for features which seem to be requested even more often.

Compare the various comments by Serif moderators in this HEIF/HEIC topic (2017), especially their cautious way of giving hope, or rather avoiding it:

Likewise, the various "doubtful" user comments might not meant to stop this discussion but rather as trials to explain what various circumstances and influences might cause any delay for WebP, as for any other improved or additional format support (e.g. Affinity PDF export options aren't at their end yet, too, though PDF is more flexible, common and spread then a mainly web/browser based image format).

Edited by thomaso
link added

1 hour ago, All Media Lab said:

It's just a very negative point of view on application development, don't see anything special in your list. You could say that about most implementations.

It isn't negative; it is just realistic because it is something that can be said about most implementations, particularly the part about testing to make sure nothing gets broken by the changes. If nothing else, consider all the problems some users are having due to recent additions for hardware acceleration. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

58 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It isn't negative; it is just realistic

No it's a subjective matter! So I always look at it from a positive perspective until the opposite is proven. 

It totally depends on the skills of the developers and the way the apps are coded.

I presume that we deal here with highly skilled developers looking at the superb  results from the last 5 years in Photo, Designer and later Publisher. Had a look  at the Affinity code and it's well coded too. So it's just a matter of willingness and I don't see any technical obstacles on the road to webp.

webp is just a other extension like all the others technically speaking, the difference is that the source code is freely available, including the different appi for multiple platforms, like you can see in my previous posts. And that makes it easier to implement. 

There is nothing subjective about all the bugs that still exist in the apps, including new ones that have been introduced in recent updates.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I’m not an expert in this area so can you tell me how looking at what seems to be character mapping (CMap) files for fonts – from Adobe – tells you how well Serif have constructed their software with regard to the code related to exporting raster images?
I would be interested in knowing how you can look at one thing and then extrapolate your knowledge of that thing to give you insight into something completely different.

20 hours ago, All Media Lab said:

Did not decompile ddl's it, but have looked at the apps code structure half of it is text files and easy to read...

From the sample you posted it does not appear that you are looking at the code structure of the app itself, just a small sample of the app's resource files, & in a section where you won't find anything of significance written by Serif.

That won't tell you anything about how well the code is written, or how much work it would take to add support for WebP & make sure that does not introduce any new bugs or make existing ones more difficult to fix.

Affinity Photo 

7 hours ago, spinhead said:

deleted my rant

But still I read it. You say we shall write a script. That's why I asked for a plugin-interface as an alternative, so that the community can implement such a feature, like it also did for Photoshop. The interface has to be already implemented since you can buy plugins in the Affinity Store. So they just have to open it for community-plugins... But why only compare to Photoshop? Take Paint.NET, a completely free program. It has WebP-Support. Take GIMP, although they work on GIMP 3, GIMP 2 already has WebP-Support. So we're not asking for something a pricy suite hasn't, it has it, thanks to the community, but for something several free programs already have.

That’s a specious argument.
Just because some free software does a thing doesn’t mean that some specific paid-for software should also do that thing.
Just because one or more applications support a certain thing doesn’t mean that the Affinity applications have to support it.
Just because Photo can handle certain plug-ins doesn’t mean that it should support all plug-ins, especially ‘community-developed’ ones that have been through no official testing process and could, if they don’t work well, tarnish the reputation of the Affinity brand.

Serif can do, or not do, whatever they want to the software; it is their software to do with as they wish. They could even stop development altogether if they so wished; it’s absolutely up to them – we users are just licence-holders not owners.
Serif know their business far better than we do, they know what their future plans are, and only they know what they can afford to do with the resources they have available.

At least one representative of Serif has said that Serif have (at the time they said it) no current plans for supporting export to WebP in the Affinity suite and that’s all we need to know.
If someone absolutely needs to use WebP images then the Affinity suite probably isn’t what they need to be using at the moment and they should probably be using something else.

The request has been made; Serif have acknowledged that request.
Job done; nothing to do now but sit back and wait to see what happens, if anything.

• Staff

A number of posts in this thread that included personal attacks (and more to the point absolutely nothing about WebP implementation) have been hidden and this thread has been locked. 

5 hours ago, GarryP said:

At least one representative of Serif has said that Serif have (at the time they said it) no current plans for supporting export to WebP in the Affinity suite and that’s all we need to know.

Actually although true, that same person has more recently said this, so better news, but we do not have it implemented yet.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon