You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How map bitmap picture beetween white->selected spot colour.

How map bitmap picture beetween white->selected spot colour. looks like end result when i use K only in Publisher does rgb data. at least such element looks totally different exported pdf when i open it acrobat reader. but pantone coloured text shows same way what it shows in Publisher. at least end pdf looks good when i do gradient map image (what i converted itself grayscale) with cmyk white and selected spot colour. this test image is rgb. Or its this impossible with current affintiy apps.

• Staff

Hi @MxHeppa,

On 1/26/2021 at 1:45 PM, MxHeppa said:

Or its this impossible with current affintiy apps

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you're asking here. Could you please expand on this, or provide a screen recording showing what you're trying to achieve?

The more information and steps you can provide here would help. Many thanks in advance :) 

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

29 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Hi @MxHeppa,

Unfortunately I'm not sure what you're asking here. Could you please expand on this, or provide a screen recording showing what you're trying to achieve?

The more information and steps you can provide here would help. Many thanks in advance :) 

i want like graysclae conversion but grayscale levels are spot ink levels. end result looks similar what this blue picture what i posted. Only thing what feels now odd
and in pantone inks should i trust how Affinity Apps shows them or Acrobat Reader way.(=much less colourful for example ). This K only and selecting spot colour does result what looks what i want in display but in printing i dont know and is hard test when minium order is 250 when is offset job and i mean one company post cards. digital side i can test gold and silver. Orange 021 C looks much more red in Acrobat Reader. and stuff in net and based given rgb values i feel Affinity Publisher shows more correctly.

Hi MxHeppa,
this works correctly when using greyscale images or K only from a CMYK image. You can recolor your image using a spot color (best to define it in swatches panel before using). I think, you also need to be in an CMYK document. You should be careful, when outputting. It's easily broken and CMYK separation again. You can search in forum, many have posted on this topic already.

21 hours ago, thadeusz said:

Hi MxHeppa,
this works correctly when using greyscale images or K only from a CMYK image. You can recolor your image using a spot color (best to define it in swatches panel before using). I think, you also need to be in an CMYK document. You should be careful, when outputting. It's easily broken and CMYK separation again. You can search in forum, many have posted on this topic already.

My document is CMYK. any ideas what i should use do such search? and i bet it should keep is spot color only when i have honor spot colours selected. i can test this gold/silver with xerox modern machines but offset side i cannot test. but i generally bet goes similar way.

Just to make sure (and because color palette in Affinity sucks) - there needs to be a spot color defined in the color palette (see image, color symbol with dot). Maybe you have this correct anyway...

spotcolor.jpg.0e0b848532debf049248bb66c23a0009.jpgspotcolor.jpg.0e0b848532debf049248bb66c23a0009.jpg

On export to PDF you should tick honor spot colors, but not tick the one above (separate to CMYK or so - sorry, I don't have the english UI at hand).
In my case it worked the best with PDF 1.4 or PDF 1.7, but not the X profiles. Just check (and of course it depends, what you need for output).
Where are you checking separation? Acrobat? Make sure to select correct embeded profile. In my case it's normaly jumping to a wrong profile and sometimes messing up the correct separation.

To get this running in my case was a bit of a nightmare. There was even another weird thing going on - in program preferences there is a point where you can change gamma for whatever mixdown with text. It was set wrong, even I never deliberately changed it (must be 2.2). This caused all spot colors to be CMYK. This can also be done also in every layer, which is another risk to break spot colors. As there is no overprinting possible (only for a whole color in palette), I use layer mode "multiply" to get objects/images overprinted. But as for now, it works solid.

13 minutes ago, thadeusz said:

Just to make sure (and because color palette in Affinity sucks) - there needs to be a spot color defined in the color palette (see image, color symbol with dot). Maybe you have this correct anyway...

spotcolor.jpg.0e0b848532debf049248bb66c23a0009.jpgspotcolor.jpg.0e0b848532debf049248bb66c23a0009.jpg

On export to PDF you should tick honor spot colors, but not tick the one above (separate to CMYK or so - sorry, I don't have the english UI at hand).
In my case it worked the best with PDF 1.4 or PDF 1.7, but not the X profiles. Just check (and of course it depends, what you need for output).
Where are you checking separation? Acrobat? Make sure to select correct embeded profile. In my case it's normaly jumping to a wrong profile and sometimes messing up the correct separation.

To get this running in my case was a bit of a nightmare. There was even another weird thing going on - in program preferences there is a point where you can change gamma for whatever mixdown with text. It was set wrong, even I never deliberately changed it (must be 2.2). This caused all spot colors to be CMYK. This can also be done also in every layer, which is another risk to break spot colors. As there is no overprinting possible (only for a whole color in palette), I use layer mode "multiply" to get objects/images overprinted. But as for now, it works solid.

can you post this part in you gui should to be not clicked? i dont yet know what i can use check sepations with budget one tool is too pricey to me.

3 minutes ago, MxHeppa said:

can you post this part in you gui should to be not clicked? i dont yet know what i can use check sepations with budget one tool is too pricey to me.

Or maybe you mean overprint blacks etting? you can post text what you button has or screen grab.

Now I'm back. My screenshot below is from Export - PDF export settings - more...
Above "honor spot colors" this selection should be not chosen. This is by the way my export setting for a regular print job with two spot colors, without any CMYK color.
To your other question - unfortunately I don't know any budget tool to check if sepations are correctly. That's why I and many others are trying to push Affinity to give us at least some kind of separation preview inside Publisher. I'd even pay for another Affinity tool which would compare to Acrobat - having preflight, separation and overprinting preview/check. At the moment I'm using my good old Acrobat CS4, but I'd love to get rid of that.

do-not-tick.png.6079761722a786532bb8e84a86720f92.png

Indeed such tool is needed. and is understandable now why is not selectd and my test material when i select one these numbered ones end result look acrobat reader at least fine unlike one what has in its name x charter. now i wonder if pdf 1.4 keep images in original profile and other colours cmyk profile if i select them in cmyk mode.

PDF 1.4 is reducing transparency. That is still required for some print shops. Some are accepting PDF 1.7 too. I had some issues with Affinity PDFs using PDF 1.7. There is a small chance, that when rasterising it in a print shop, results are msiinterpreted. I guess, it's when print shops are using old versions.