You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• 2 weeks later...

How to make "Round-trip" edits from Apple Photos to Affinity Photo and back again:

In AP, open the desired shots from the media browser. Note: if you double click to select a photo, it will not open in AP - this may be a bug. But if you single-click (select) the desired photo and click the "open..." button, it will open in AP, ready for editing. 

When done editing, to save back into Apple Photos, just hit "Save...". The photo will be saved back on top of (overwriting) the original in the Apple Photos Library.

BUT! Apple Phots will not know the phot have been edits, and will display a proxy image of the unedited original.

To fix this, find the image in Apple Photos that you just edited in Affinity and click the "Edit..."  button.

Suddenly your Affinity edits appear, and you can now cancel out of the edit mode in Apple Photos.

Ta Da.

Note 1: If you try to "Save As..." then you cannot navigate to the media browser. So you must "Save...".

Note 2: You may want to duplicate your phot sin Apple Phots before editing in Affinity, in case you want to save the original.

Note 3: Affinity lets you "Save Editing History" but haven't tested if this works via the round trip method above.

The new operating system from Apple (El Capitan) is supposed to allow for third party editing.  However, Apple says it needs an extension from the third party and when I look for extensions I don't find any.  Have the good Affinity people been able to make apple photos reach out to Affinity Photo for editing purposes?  If so, what needs to be done?  Also, is there a simple way to put the edited photo back in Apple Photos besides exporting to another file folder then doing an import?  Back when I used Photoshop Elements and I Photo I used to be able to get back and forth easily.

• Staff

Hi Oxpeople,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Currently you must install Affinity Photo Costumer Beta (usually pinned at the top) to make the extensions available in Apple’s Photos or wait for the next Mac App Store update. Incase you decide to install the Beta, remember to keep the Mac App Store version installed since it's nedeed to run the Beta.

There's no way to get the edited image back to Photos automatically since Apple haven't implemented the ability to use an external editor with Photos, like they did in Aperture.