You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Do you find that files sometimes disappear when you choose 'save as'

Possibly a rookie move on my part, but I have noticed on a couple of occasions that if I open a file I have been working on, choose the 'Save As' option in the file menu, the newly created file overwrites the original one, rather than duplicating it. Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers

Reality is perception. Perception is reality. You are in charge of both.

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

2.5 GHz  |  i5 quad                          1.6 GHz  |  Core i5

20 GB Ram  |  10.12.6                     8 GB Ram  |  10.13.6

• Staff

Hi Mediafuel

Save As will only overwrite the original file if you don't change the file name or  while saving this could be why the original file is being lost. You could save the file into a different location under the same name and it won't overwrite the original. I hope this helps :)

C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Thank you Callum. I am a bit confused though because each time I do a 'Save As' task I always change the file name to reflect the new design (I am creating new files as variations of the same design in place of art boards).

No worries though. From now on I will use the Duplicate feature in Finder to create the variant AD file up front before opening in AD for alteration.

Cheers

iMac  |  21.5  |  Mid 2011                 MacBook Air  |  13 inch  |  Early 2015

Well, there seems to be a bug in the Save as … system, which overwrites files under certain circumstances. It’s not exactly the same, I fear, but I found this today and filed a bug report here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/13228-save-as-…-strange-behavior-overwriting/

But I am not sure what to make of it … does this make sense to you, Mediafuel?  :unsure:

Thanks A_B_C. I cannot recall my exact steps, but as I have been creating file variations using the save as function, I have been reorganising the folders in which I keep them as well. So your experience might be what I have encountered. 

All the best.