You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

.heic on network shares

stain

Affinity Photo (Windows) 1.8.5.703

Opening .heic from a network share yields "The file type is not supported"

The same file being opened from local storage opens normally with no errors.

P.S. Mac version (1.8.6) has no such a problem. It opens from the network share just fine.

Hi @Gabe

Windows 10 20H2 64-bit build 19042.746

SMB1 network share

NOD32 Antivirus

Affinity Photo 1.85.703/Designer 1.8.5.703/Publisher 1.8.5.703 under Windows

while on macOS I have only Affinity Photo/Designer (if it makes sense)

Is there something else you mean by setup? Does CPU/RAM/whatever make any diff for the issue?

PS

.heic taken from iOS 14

@Gabe

I've tested a bit. Network share has nothing to do with the issue. The folder name is the cause.

Affinity Photo won't import the .heic if it is in a folder which name is non-latin. I've got a project with a folder that contains cyrillic letters.

I was unable to import .heic locally or from network shares if the folder contains cyrillic letters with spaces and without. Got unsupported type error.

While jpegs were imported/opened with no errors from the same folder.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I'm wondering if you're opening the resource fork and not the actual heic file. When using Mac and windows on the same folder, macOS will create a ._ resource fork. You won't see it on macOS, but you will on Windows. 

As far as I can see I'm opening the same 2.8 mb file from the network share on mac and windows.  Hidden files and underscore files are explicitly visible on windows for me 'coz I don't use any explorer-like interface, and different file types are colored differently in the file manager. For the experiment I even used FastStone image viewer, which opened the .heic just fine under Windows. The thing is, you can choose external programs to launch from the context menu ('Edit with external program') in FastStone viewer for the currently opened file. I have Affinity Photo and GIMP set there. So, if I open the .heic from cyrillic folder with the FSViewer, it opens fine. If I choose GIMP via 'Edit with external program', it opens fine. If I choose Affinity Photo from the same menu, I get the error.