You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Asset sharing between Affinity applications?

I would like to use one category containing lots of assets in all three Affinity applications. The assets were created in Designer, but should also be used in Photo and Publisher. Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that:

• The asset category shows up in Designer, but nowhere else.
  • Though it is easy to export the category in Designer and import it into the other programs, this creates independent copies of the original category. Changes in one of these copies are not reflected in the others.
  • I would therefore have to administrate three independent categories and hope that I properly keep them identical. That's a lot of work and rather error-prone.

Is there any possibility to share the same category between all Affinity programs, so that changes in that category are automatically reflected in all other 'Affinities' (on the same computer)?

Andreas Weidner

No, that's not possible. The assets are specific to one application, and you will need three independent copies.

One approach you might experiment with:

1. Create your assets category in Designer.
  2. Rather than Exporting and Importing, create a new document, and Embed the assets in that document.
  3. Export the document as a template.
  4. When you Open that template in Photo or Publisher the assets will be imported automatically.
  5. Close the template.

When it is necessary to change the assets, update them, then Open the template in Designer, Embed them again, and re-Save the template. When you Open it again in Photo or Publisher the assets there will be updated. Note: You may need to close and restart Photo or Publisher to see the updated assets.

Note: 1.9 is introducing cross-application sychronization of purchased and free content from the Affinity Store. It is conceivable that in the future, Serif might expand this to include synchronizing other kinds of content including assets that have been created in or imported into the applications from other sources. Only the future will tell on that.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

What a pity – I hoped that it was something that I just overlooked...

Thanks for the idea of embedding. At the moment, though, I just made finishing touches to the assets and will import them into the other Affinities and hope that the assets won't change soon...

Andreas Weidner