You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

I'm almost ready with the first book I made with Affinity Publisher and I uploaded to lulu.com for a quick test.

I keep getting a warning stating that I used a 5pt font size in the document but I cannot find this text – and I guess I never used such small font.

Is there any way to find out all the font size used in the document?

If there is no way, will it be possible to to implement (in the next version) the ability to suggest in Preflight whenever a font smaller than 8pt is used in the document?

Thank you!

lulu 5pt.jpg

Ugo

MacMini with M1 chip, macOS BigSur (latest version), Affinity Publisher (latest version)

Using Affinity Publisher to create photography books – or better "zines" – that I offer on Amazon, check my collection at:
https://www.amazon.com/~/e/B097YBY6MW

You can use the Find and Replace panel.

• Click on the Format cog for the Find field, and then click on Format.
  • Click on Font
  • Specify the Font Size
  • Click OK.

image.png.3ff19cdf6f44a9ead2e57bba77b0f024.png

Click Find.

image.png.a59dedbac9987ab89d9bcb924677694f.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 hours ago, ugrandolini said:

I uploaded to lulu.com for a quick test.

You shouldn't ignore the other warnings either.
Could it be that you're using RGB black in your book?
If you want to print the book, make sure your text is in CMYK mode: C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=100. Otherwise you may run into trouble.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

13 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

image.png.3ff19cdf6f44a9ead2e57bba77b0f024.png

thank yo so much @walt.farrell for taking the time to prepare these instructions!

I followed your instructions and AP didn't find anything in 5 pt, so I guess there can be an issue in the "problems detector" on lulu.com

image.png.b41c8b4118e4f8c8c898520e0ba84173.png

I will add a feature request to ask Affinity to add this check in "Preflight" in a future version – anyways I love this software and I how easy is to create with it!

Ugo

MacMini with M1 chip, macOS BigSur (latest version), Affinity Publisher (latest version)

Using Affinity Publisher to create photography books – or better "zines" – that I offer on Amazon, check my collection at:

8 hours ago, loukash said:

You shouldn't ignore the other warnings either.
Could it be that you're using RGB black in your book?
If you want to print the book, make sure your text is in CMYK mode: C=0 M=0 Y=0 K=100. Otherwise you may run into trouble.

thank you so much @loukash!

The color warning is gone with the last upload, however I set the document as CMYK/8 so I guess any color should be automatically converted when I export, right?

CMYK.jpg.208cea14e6b5727fe31430cc64428d2d.jpg

The font size warning must be a problem on their side as AP cannot find any font on that size in the document.

The last warning is still there:

Transparency: We detected an element that may be transparent within your file. We strongly recommend flattening or removing any transparencies in your file.

But I need transparent boxes in my layout as you can see in the following image:

transparencies.thumb.jpg.02260d4d4f5ae931216d631d77d974e8.jpg

Do you think I will face problems with a page like this?

I will print a sample anyways and see what happens; this book is actually a project I'm using to learn AP and check LULU's print quality.

Again, thank you for your support.

Ugo

4 hours ago, ugrandolini said:

The color warning is gone with the last upload, however I set the document as CMYK/8 so I guess any color should be automatically converted when I export, right?

Yes, your colors will be CMYK, but it is still possible for you to have the wrong black for your text. Usually you want a true black (0,0,0,100) but it's easy to end up with a "rich" black that is a mixture of C, M, Y, and K inks rather than pure K. You need to be careful how you assign the black color to your text.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

41 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

it's easy to end up with a "rich" black that is a mixture of C, M, Y, and K inks rather than pure K

And unfortunately that's apparently "by design" how Affinity handles colors, swatches, color spaces, etc.:
It always wants to convert.
And the original swatch defaults are RGB/rich Black.
And figuring out the procedure how to make new app defaults stick is a p.i.t.a.
And you can't delete the default silly "Grays" color palette because it's hard coded, but it's RICH BLACK even though your document is CMYK!
Sigh… :(

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

5 hours ago, ugrandolini said:

Do you think I will face problems with a page like this?

I can't tell without loading your actual Publisher document.
Can you upload a sample?

20 hours ago, ugrandolini said:

I keep getting a warning stating that I used a 5pt font size in the document but I cannot find this text

That's not what the warning said, it said...

"Font Size: Some of your fonts are less than 5 pt"

It could be 4pt, 3pt, 2pt or 1.3pt or 2.5pt or 4.999999pt

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

30 minutes ago, loukash said:

The white/mid-gray/black swatches on the right of the Swatches panel are the ones to use for a true black in CMYK.

-- Walt
PC:

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

The white/mid-gray/black swatches on the right of the Swatches panel are the ones to use for a true black in CMYK.

I see, thanks. Somehow I still tend to overlook them…

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Yes, your colors will be CMYK, but it is still possible for you to have the wrong black for your text. Usually you want a true black (0,0,0,100) but it's easy to end up with a "rich" black that is a mixture of C, M, Y, and K inks rather than pure K. You need to be careful how you assign the black color to your text.

So I need to change all my styles from:

image.png.8865a265fbf1ebc3ecdd2c85d259ae71.png

To:

image.png.4a5b8f9dbd7f75954184e339d30a0c9c.png

Right?

Ugo

1 hour ago, loukash said:

I can't tell without loading your actual Publisher document.
Can you upload a sample?

I reduced a copy to just 3 pages but it's still 2.8Mb – zipping it is still 2.8Mb: should I upload it or maybe I remove the image before uploading it?

Ugo

1 hour ago, carl123 said:

That's not what the warning said, it said...

"Font Size: Some of your fonts are less than 5 pt"

It could be 4pt, 3pt, 2pt or 1.3pt or 2.5pt or 4.999999pt

thank you @carl123 to pointing that out!

Then we definitely need to get a check in Preflight for font sizes below a certain value – and we should be able to enter that value somewhere in the preferences.

I think I did not used any font smaller than 8 pt but I cannot spend my life to find out if there is something in 4pt, 3pt, 2pt or 1.3pt or 2.5pt or 4.999999pt ah ah ah

Are anyone at Serif looking at the forum or should I open a request in some other place?

Ugo

1 hour ago, loukash said:

And unfortunately that's apparently "by design" how Affinity handles colors, swatches, color spaces, etc.:
It always wants to convert.
And figuring out the procedure how to make new app defaults stick is a p.i.t.a.
And you can't delete the default silly "Grays" color palette because it's hard coded, but it's RICH BLACK even though your document is CMYK!
Sigh… :(

so I opened the Grays and double clicked the first "gray" on the left:

image.png.77c63d2fc3f2cd6d3758af0ec6fe6680.png

then I edited like this:

image.png.dc29a86337b1d89ce24e90e66236d042.png

Now, if I open a new document and double click on the same "grey" – the first on the left – I still get the same values: 0/0/0/100 so I guess AP saves these values globally – this can be positive or negative pending on the user needs.

Ugo

23 minutes ago, ugrandolini said:

I reduced a copy to just 3 pages but it's still 2.8Mb – zipping it is still 2.8Mb: should I upload it or maybe I remove the image before uploading it?

You have 2 GB (!) upload space here on the forums, so no worries for now. :)

13 minutes ago, ugrandolini said:

Now, if I open a new document and double click on the same "grey" – the first on the left – I still get the same values: 0/0/0/100 so I guess AP saves these values globally

Now this is weird!
As in: It's a BUG, not a feature!

Look at this:

swatch_panel_bug.png.396e98749172947908ebb3030e97014a.png

The Color panel is correct, the color popup when double clicking the Swatch is not.
The proof: exported as PDF/X-4 and inspected in Acrobat:

swatch_panel_bug_pdfx4_export.png.56ccd19dfa9f6fe234a744fc110fd154.png

(Yes, my standard CMYK workflow is ISO Coated v2 300%, so no color conversion done here.)

42 minutes ago, ugrandolini said:

Are anyone at Serif looking at the forum or should I open a request in some other place?

Yes, Serif is watching this forum, and someone should be along sometime.

However, if you want to request a change you need to post in the appropriate Feature Requests forum.

-- Walt
PC:

57 minutes ago, loukash said:

The Color panel is correct, the color popup when double clicking the Swatch is not.

The proof: exported as PDF/X-4 and inspected in Acrobat:

swatch_panel_bug_pdfx4_export.png.56ccd19dfa9f6fe234a744fc110fd154.png

(Yes, my standard CMYK workflow is ISO Coated v2 300%, so no color conversion done here.)

well now I'm confused

@walt.farrell stated:

But from your answer it seems you better like a black made with: 78/68/58/94

Now I'm not sure which way to follow, anyways my book will be black and white so I guess (hope!) there will no big difference.

Ugo

1 minute ago, ugrandolini said:

Now I'm not sure which way to follow

Watch the Color panel for your colors, do not double click swatches.

2 minutes ago, ugrandolini said:

anyways my book will be black and white

Then you definitely want to make sure that all your colors are K only, no CMY whatsoever.
Otherwise it will be costly…
Unless the printhouse doesn't make a price difference between b/w and CMYK print. But then again, CMYK-black will look blurry.

2 hours ago, loukash said:

You have 2 GB (!) upload space here on the forums, so no worries for now. :)

well queued for more than one hour, I give up :(image.png.fe7805a1405e6a2874957aea1d726809.png

Ugo