You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Importing desktop files for manipulation on iPad. How?

My desktop is starting to fail. I have copied thousands of Vector files (.svg, etc including .afdesigns) that I’d like to continue to work on using iPad version Affinity Designer.

How do I import into iPad? And where do I save newly edited?
Thank you in advance. 

Welcome back to the Serif Affinity Forums, @dneilson2. :)

When you tap on the ‘+’ symbol in the top right-hand corner of the Home Screen of the iPad app you’re presented with several options including ‘Open From Cloud’:

26B6550C-9D3C-4E95-91CA-2FFBA038F19E.thumb.png.653b704071733d4220f403b61263edfd.png

Edited files are saved to the app’s sandbox area, but you can also ‘Save a Copy’ (via the Document menu) to an external location of your choice. The latter option is highly recommended, since sandboxed files may be lost through accidental corruption or deliberate removal of the app.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Thank you. 😀

So it’s important to save all my vector files to the cloud first? (have no more storage on desktop).  

In order to import my work into AD for iPad, I will need to buy more storage first (import from cloud and export to cloud) ?

Countless hours creating and editing...is this safe? I was storing all my work on an external drive. 

thanks again. 

An external drive might work, too, as long as you have the means to access it from your iPad; I have no experience of using external drives in this way. The important point is not to rely on the sandbox area for storing your valuable documents.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, dneilson2 said:

So it’s important to save all my vector files to the cloud first? (have no more storage on desktop).  

I have 512GB storage on my iPad and use Documents (by Readdle) to set up 'nested' folders. Affinity can access these directly and also access files from Cloud services, networked drives, wireless drives and USB drives. Plenty of safe options for backups. I have heard of issues reading and writing to SSD drives though. 
Affinity utilises the Files app to access locations, so if Files can access the file, so can affinity.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/