You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AFD-Beta 1.9.0.21 Contour tool -replaces original ??

Trying out the contour tool : It appears that the creation of a contour replaces the original object.
Also the object remains as one, Divide doesn't change that.
It makes no difference whether the object is filled or not.

Is this by design ?

I should imagine that a contour tool would create an additional (outline) to the original ?
Please see attachments.

P.S. The    .AFDESIGN  file  differs from the  .MOV file because I forgot to save the former - so had to draw it again -sorry !
Doesn't change the outcome, though.

Contour.afdesign

• Staff

Hi catlover,

This is intentional. When you click 'Bake appearance' it will convert the contour to regular geometry meaning it can no longer be removed. If you wish to create a contour and later remove it then don't use 'Bake appearance', and then just set the Contour to be 0mm if you wish to remove it.

The contour will never add an additional stroke - instead it just lets you increase and offset the fill by the desired amount.

Thank you Sean for your speedy answer.
Too bad : I had hoped I'd get an additional outline of the original, such as Corel Draw ( sorry) handles that : as many outlines
as you wish, all separate contours.

BTW : The "choose files" link didn't work. I had to drag the files into the box.

4 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi catlover,

This is intentional. When you click 'Bake appearance' it will convert the contour to regular geometry meaning it can no longer be removed. If you wish to create a contour and later remove it then don't use 'Bake appearance', and then just set the Contour to be 0mm if you wish to remove it.

The contour will never add an additional stroke - instead it just lets you increase and offset the fill by the desired amount.

I hope the official Affinity Tutorial Man ATM will have a great tutorial to explain this tool. It's still a mystery.

Just add a button on the Contour Tool toolbar - keep the original and of course the button - scale with object.

The lower bar of the program interface shows that you can hold the ALT key while using the Contour Tool and the object will be cloned.
Unfortunately, on Windows and Mac it doesn't work.

contour tool1.png

These buttons are not available in the desktop version. I suppose you must be talking about the ipad version ??

In any case, as a work around you can make a copy of the original object, and perform a contour on one of them.

Not ideal and not the way I would suppose contouring should work. Alas. you can't win them all.

• Staff
8 minutes ago, catlover said:

These buttons are not available in the desktop version. I suppose you must be talking about the ipad version ??

In any case, as a work around you can make a copy of the original object, and perform a contour on one of them.

Not ideal and not the way I would suppose contouring should work. Alas. you can't win them all.

Those are not options that exist within the app - they're just options that GRAFKOM would like to see.

• Staff
9 minutes ago, catlover said:

Seems I need new glasses. Either that, or a new brain..:)

Sorry 'bout that.

Still, those buttons and their function wouldn't go amiss, and indeed, the ALT pressdown doesn't work as advertised.

No worries! The Alt shortcut is a known issue unfortunately :(

See the mystery of the disappearing Operating System, see screenshot of your reply just now and compare..
Or do I really need new glasses ? :D
Anyway, I'm on OSX (iMac Mojave) and there the ALT thing doesn't work either.

1073214768_Screenshot2021-01-26at16_53_25.thumb.png.e465318fd35e8cef8c0bd253917fa6f8.png

• Staff
17 hours ago, catlover said:

See the mystery of the disappearing Operating System, see screenshot of your reply just now and compare..
Or do I really need new glasses ? :D
Anyway, I'm on OSX (iMac Mojave) and there the ALT thing doesn't work either.

No mystery or new glasses required - I initially thought it was a Windows only issue so I said Windows. I then had my doubts after realising this was in the Mac forum so double checked the actual issue and remembered it did affect both OSs so I then quickly edited my post to be factually correct.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.