You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how can I export from affinity publisher to indesign

so I know that I cannot export as indd or idml but I want to export to a file format that will open on adobe indesign because I am in a team and they all use indesign so are there any free software that will convert affinity publisher files to indesign files were they can edit it. or can I use one of the file formats to export it.

There are no converters for the Affinity file formats, so you will have to Export.

Try one of the PDF formats, but be careful about what gets rasterized.

If you regularly need to share your work with a team that's using InDesign you may be better off using InDesign yourself. That's the only way to be sure things will work smoothly.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/25/2021 at 6:41 AM, walt.farrell said:

There are no converters for the Affinity file formats, so you will have to Export.

Try one of the PDF formats, but be careful about what gets rasterized.

If you regularly need to share your work with a team that's using InDesign you may be better off using InDesign yourself. That's the only way to be sure things will work smoothly.

This saddens me. I'm completing a huge project with Publisher and the printer now needs it packaged - which Publisher cannot do - and I can't get it into InDesign to package it. I love Affinity but this may be the nail in the coffin for me. :( 

15 minutes ago, ashlenn said:

This saddens me. I'm completing a huge project with Publisher and the printer now needs it packaged - which Publisher cannot do - and I can't get it into InDesign to package it. I love Affinity but this may be the nail in the coffin for me. :( 

1.9 will be able to package it for you, and should be available soon if you don't want to try using the beta for it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

1.9 will be able to package it for you, and should be available soon if you don't want to try using the beta for it.

Unfortunately I have a project I have to get to a printer today and they need it packaged and the beta isn’t working and I haven’t found a solution as to why. 

6 minutes ago, ashlenn said:

Unfortunately I have a project I have to get to a printer today and they need it packaged and the beta isn’t working and I haven’t found a solution as to why. 

That's unfortunate.

It does lead me to wonder, though, what it is that your printer really wants when they say they want a package.

If you give them a PDF they have a file with the images and the fonts, which would seem to be everything they need. So if that is not enough, and they are specifically saying "package" (as opposed to PDF) then they may mean "an InDesign file and images and fonts packaged as InDesign would package them." And in that case your only choice is to use InDesign, because even if 1.9 were working for you the packages it produces are not InDesign files, and they require Publisher.

-- Walt
PC:

I had a past beta version. Thank heavens. I love this new update and will include a PDF in the package. That’s the best I can do right now. In the future I’ll just have to revert to InDesifn Trials to complete these huge projects until Publisher can talk to InDesign. 

4 minutes ago, ashlenn said:

until Publisher can talk to InDesign. 

In my opinion that will likely never happen.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

58 minutes ago, ashlenn said:

Are you sure your printer can even use a Publisher file? I don't know any print or design house that uses any of the Affinity software. Adobe is the standard here and I am assuming they would be asking for a packaged Indesign file. I would check with them if they can use Publisher as you may be wasting your time trying to get Publisher to package. 

On 1/25/2021 at 10:14 AM, `a.m.a said:

so I know that I cannot export as indd or idml but I want to export to a file format that will open on adobe indesign because I am in a team and they all use indesign so are there any free software that will convert affinity publisher files to indesign files were they can edit it. or can I use one of the file formats to export it.

If you are collaborating you should all be using the same software. You will create nothing but headaches trying to make something work as it will never be 100% and only create more work for the team. 

Affinity has some great software, powerful and extremely affordable, but it is not a replacement for Adobe in a collaborative environment. Make life easy on yourself and everyone else and stick to what the team is using.

Just now, wonderings said:

Are you sure your printer can even use a Publisher file? I don't know any print or design house that uses any of the Affinity software. Adobe is the standard here and I am assuming they would be asking for a packaged Indesign file. I would check with them if they can use Publisher as you may be wasting your time trying to get Publisher to package. 

If you are collaborating you should all be using the same software. You will create nothing but headaches trying to make something work as it will never be 100% and only create more work for the team. 

Affinity has some great software, powerful and extremely affordable, but it is not a replacement for Adobe in a collaborative environment. Make life easy on yourself and everyone else and stick to what the team is using.

If you look at my other comments I addressed this. They get a PDF this time and hopefully they can use it. I will not be able to use Publisher in the future for large projects unless this is addressed. It saddens me because I much prefer this software and don’t care for Adobe in general. 

8 minutes ago, ashlenn said:

If you look at my other comments I addressed this. They get a PDF this time and hopefully they can use it. I will not be able to use Publisher in the future for large projects unless this is addressed. It saddens me because I much prefer this software and don’t care for Adobe in general. 

you addressed supplying them a PDF, which is something I know we prefer here as do other local printers. Personally I only want working files if I need to make serious changes or alterations. A properly made PDF with crops and bleeds gets things moving much faster then opening a working file and preparing a PDF after that for print. Cutting out a middle step that is really not needed.

Regarding Serif addressing Indesign and their file I don't think this is not something they really can do beyond what they have now with IDML files. Sure they may be able to improve things but it will never be 100% compatibility between the two. At the end of the day they are 2 page layout programs made by 2 different companies. You will never have a perfect conversion. So you really have 1 option if you do not want to use Indesign, you need need to supply print ready PDF's. If your printer still insists on packaged Indesign files then you can either use Indesign or find another printer. 

3 minutes ago, wonderings said:

you addressed supplying them a PDF, which is something I know we prefer here as do other local printers. Personally I only want working files if I need to make serious changes or alterations. A properly made PDF with crops and bleeds gets things moving much faster then opening a working file and preparing a PDF after that for print. Cutting out a middle step that is really not needed.

Regarding Serif addressing Indesign and their file I don't think this is not something they really can do beyond what they have now with IDML files. Sure they may be able to improve things but it will never be 100% compatibility between the two. At the end of the day they are 2 page layout programs made by 2 different companies. You will never have a perfect conversion. So you really have 1 option if you do not want to use Indesign, you need need to supply print ready PDF's. If your printer still insists on packaged Indesign files then you can either use Indesign or find another printer. 

I always supply print ready PDFs. They simply asked for working files this time. It’s not my first big project. It is, however, the first one with Affinity and I wasn’t expecting this hiccup. I’m hoping they can roll with it. 

• 7 months later...
8 hours ago, Silla said:

I love Affinity but I can't understand why Affinity can't talk back to adobe..

To oversimplify a bit, it is because Adobe uses a proprietary native file format & has no interest in making it available to its competitors.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 hours ago, R C-R said:

To oversimplify a bit, it is because Adobe uses a proprietary native file format & has no interest in making it available to its competitors.

Adobe supports an open interchange format like IDML. Its specs are freely available on the web. There is no need to use the proprietary, closed INDD format.

Paolo

On 1/25/2021 at 4:14 PM, `a.m.a said:

so I know that I cannot export as indd or idml but I want to export to a file format that will open on adobe indesign because I am in a team and they all use indesign

While being able to open an AfPub file in InDesign would be useful in many cases, opening it with InDesign the minute you go to the printer is not one of these. No inter-app conversion can be totally reliable, and you would risk all sorts of printing errors.

If the printer really needs the original files instead of a print-ready PDF, why not asking them to use AfPub to edit them?

Paolo

9 hours ago, PaoloT said:

While being able to open an AfPub file in InDesign would be useful in many cases

First, I don't use Afpub or InDesign (never have), however looking at this logically, I agree it would. So I think that as many as possible Afpub users should go make requests of Adobe to change that. Isn't the opposite happening here with Serif's apps? Just sayin' 😉

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

16 hours ago, Ron P. said:

So I think that as many as possible Afpub users should go make requests of Adobe to change that. Isn't the opposite happening here with Serif's apps? Just sayin' 😉

The fact is that one is by large the market leader, and at this stage can even ignore the existence of the other. While the other must live in an environment dominated by the other, and adapt to survive.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, AaronShep said:

Publisher's lack of export to IDML is the main thing that prevents me from using it.

How should APu handle features not available in Indesign?

1 hour ago, AaronShep said:

The other thing that stops me is the lack of a JPEG compression option on export to PDF

The option is available.

jpgcompression.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Thanks for pointing out the JPEG compression option!

Are there Publisher output features not available in InDesign? No conversion between apps is ever perfect. You can run into feature differences even between versions of InDesign. So, you'd have to omit such features or approximate them, as long as you document it properly. I remember Microsoft producing long documents about the discrepancies you'd get from importing documents from other apps, like WordPerfect, into Word.

5 hours ago, AaronShep said:

So, you'd have to omit such features or approximate them

That's what happened when switching from QXP to ID... and it was a temporary solution, until we had enough time to redo properly the files in ID.

Use the appropriate app if needed for complexe works, or just simple PDF to modify in Adobe reader if needed, but such exchanges, if they existed, would only give headaches at some end.

7 hours ago, AaronShep said:

,,, There's no way I'm going to lock my book designs into a totally proprietary file format. ...

What?

For the record, InDesign uses a proprietary file format.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.