You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feedback on workflow for spot colour conversion

Hi everyone, I've inherited a job where the source file contains a mixture of colours and I have to target a dry offset printing process which requires that I supply a PDF with 8 spot colours (no process colours). I've manually "quantised" the palette down to six (global colours) that will be used (2 are needed for white overprint and varnish). I'm now trying to convert the final six to spot colours. I realise that in an ideal world there would be a checkable menu item to select spot on the right-click edit menu for the palette entry alongside Overprint but that's not there. What's the most efficient way to get a design of several thousand objects into a press-ready state?

My current thinking is to create a new document palette, duplicate the current palette with the equivalent spot colours, systematically work through the design layers and groups selecting things of the same colour and reassigning them to the spot colours. Is this the most efficient way to do it?

Also, when I'm done, is there any way to tell if I've converted all the original global coloured items to their spot coloured equivalents, as a check?

If I've got this all wrong then please let me know.