You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi folks,

sorry, beginner question here (but didn't found any sufficient answer via "search" yet):

I want to draw lines as in the image attached (powerpoint style😅)

Straight, dotted lines but also straight lines that end with points, for example. I would now have created separate lines and connected them. I would like to align them so that they have the same angle as if it were one line. Is this possible? Thank you guys in advance! 

Cheers!

jiff

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-25 um 09.18.53.png

It's all in the Affinity Designer Stroke Panel.

image.png.ab160496eedc541e176f10b4e56165f7.png

image.png.e1f8e0142d256af31d40605adbd919f9.png

image.png.f047b2a1bc6b1d6c77721339cd64452c.png

If you have Affinity Photo...

image.png.f4d311e5272cfdf4b73e261c953cfac2.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Hi @jiff  yes just adjust the stroke width, you may also have to adjust the dash settings to a wider space as in this screenshot where the stroke is narrower and the dash settings are wider.

image.png.0e87c64d6f008289f7ed29a68fe8ef66.png

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/CurvesShapes/draw_linesAndShapes.html

The dash values are: Dash size - Space - Dash size - Space

Phase: will shift the dashes left or right depending upon a positive or negative value.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

49 minutes ago, jiff said:

Thanks @firstdefence, I now just copied your settings, but it's still looks kinda wrong - do you have any special trick for me to make it "right"?dottedline.png.d68305048f6d590097078e27b22cae41.png

What do you mean by "right"? 

Change the stroke colour so you can see the stroke better and the changing of the settings, this will help show you how the settings affect the stroke, you can change the colour back when you are done editing.

• So you have created a stroke and added circular end caps
  • Expanded the stroke
  • Added the circles and line shape together and the added a stroke to the resultant shape

By the look of it, your stroke is aligned to the centre, try setting the strokes align: to outside this will make the stroke more visible, or you can change the order: setting to draw the stroke in front.

As a slight distraction, I notice you appear to have distorted the line and flattened the circle end caps, was this intentional or an unwanted distortion?