You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF passthrough is rasterised

Affinity Publisher 1.9.0.902 for Windows has the possibility of PDF passthrough, which is wonderful. Unfortunately, this does not work in conjunction with clipping:

• Every PDF containing vectors seems to work nicely together with every affine transformation (rotate, shear, scale): The resulting PDF file still contains vectors. Fine.
  • As soon as I do a vector clip with Publisher in order to throw away unwanted things (e.g., a footer with page number), the resulting PDF will be rasterised and not contain any vectors anymore.
  • Additionally, Publisher does not warn during export that anything will be rasterised: The export dialog explicitly tells me that nothing will be rasterised. The only hint I get is the suspiciously large size of the exported document.
  • This happens with every clip, even in case only whitespace is clipped away, or if only 0.1mm is clipped away.

As far as I know, PDF supports nested clipping paths. It would therefore be nice if PDF passthroughs could be clipped while preserving their vector structure. If this by some reason isn't possible, it would be useful if the export dialog would at least warn that something will be rasterised.

Andreas Weidner

This is very interesting, thanks to Andreas pointing this out. I made some more tests to see when rasterization is happening:

1. Cropping. As Andreas described. No matter what PDF version is selected.

2. No cropping used, but the PDF version on export is lower / older than the PDF version of the placed PDF.

Still there is a workaround to avoid rasterization: Do not use the Vector Crop Tool, instead use a simple vector element for clipping, e.g. a rectangle. But still the PDF version of the export has to be the same or newer than the PDF version of the placed PDF.

As a side note: When the vector elements are rasterized the colours are also wrong.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

Do not use the Vector Crop Tool, instead use a simple vector element for clipping

I believe a fix is planned for this in the next build

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

4 hours ago, WolframH said:

Ah, ok. My problem is more when I import a pdf (exported in quarkxpress) than I see rasterized letters in affinity publisher beta. 

Can you provide a PDF for us to look at that shows this? And also, ideally, a .afpub document where you see the problem?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, WolframH said:

and "transfer" shows rasterized letters

Depends on the PDF version. The placed PDF version is v1.6 and I exported as v1.6.

passthrough.jpg

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

58 minutes ago, WolframH said:

My problem is not the export of pdf. It is working inside affinity publisher beta. Why doesn't open the pdf when I doubleclicking it? Is "transfer" always rasterized in Publisher? 

You can't edit the PDF file if you use Passthrough because editing requires the PDF to be Interpreted. You need all the fonts, etc. just as if you Opened the PDF.

It's not rasterized, it's just that Passthrough is preserving all the contents of the PDF file so it will flow through the Publisher processing unchanged into the final output.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
PC:

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.