You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

12 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

Has anybody here experienced that the guides in Publisher disappears?

Yep, when I select/deselect:

• View menu > Show Guides
  • View menu > Preview Mode

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

2 hours ago, Steaming T said:

I have tried everything to make them appear

Transparent background checkerboard is showing? If not, try look this, and set correct ICC profile for monitor in OS:

Edit: But that would probably be for a problem with the grid, not the guides.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

41 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

Turning on transparency in the document setup did the trick.

That wasn't the point of my posts, but it doesn't matter.

42 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

Problem solved!

Maybe other users with the same/similar problem would be interested in how this was solved.

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1 minute ago, Steaming T said:

Seems to me like a bug of some kind.

Likely so.
These are quite likely UI glitches.
Happens randomly in all Affinity apps all the time: palettes don't update, pointers don't change, tools don't switch, guides don't show up, you name it.
Usually the fastest solution is to save all work, quit the app, relaunch.
Just yesterday, upon finishing editing a few images in Photo and closing the main window, there remained a lone blank sticky toolbar button background (duh!) floating freely above all other apps. Quit Photo, relaunch, unable to reproduce. Problem solved for now.

12 hours ago, Steaming T said:

I am on a MacBook Pro 15" from mid 2012.

Me too.
Which display? Mine is the custom matte (yay!) 1680×1050.
Which MacOS?
I'm currently on El Capitan, but I can boot this Mac freely from Mountain Lion up to Catalina. It's just that El Capitan is my "mission critical" partition of choice, for many reasons, compatibility with Adobe CS5.5 being one of them.

So perhaps there could be a "pattern" for certain display glitches of this kind? Compare e.g. my bug report here: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/129697-default-dialog-buttons-blank-in-light-mode-on-el-capitan/

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

19 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

ordinary retina display

I see, that's the follow-up model with SSD, without matte display option and without DVD drive. And more pricey. (Which were the very reasons why I ordered the "old" MacBook immediately after those details became public.)
Nonetheless, many specs remained the same, so they are still comparable.

33 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

Running Catalina

That can make a difference. Will check that out.

When I bought this MacBook it was the most top spec'ed version available in the Apple Store. It still runs great but I have noticed that video editing is slowly becoming more and more strained. I use FCPX. My main use is music and I have no problems so far. But I guess I have to reevaluate in a couple of years.

5 minutes ago, Steaming T said:

It still runs great but I have noticed that video editing is slowly becoming more and more strained. I use FCPX. My main use is music and I have no problems so far

Apart from being designer by main profession, I also do a lot of audio editing, CD mastering and such. Logic Pro runs great. The worst bottleneck was the original "classic" hard drive. After I've replaced it in 2019 with a 2TB high quality SanDisc SSD, this MacBook just flies. So for me, I still keep on saying that "they will have to pry my MBP with the matte display and DVD drive from my cold, dead hands!" :D Besides, Apple's inflated prices on those hardwired 2TB SSDs in their current MBP 16" line are definitely a dealbreaker. I'll rather spend money on spare parts for my trusty MBP when something breaks again. (And it will, sooner or later.)