You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer & Photo vs Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator

So I am new to Affinity. 

I was an Adobe user and recently upgraded to the apple 2021 macbook.
I was using the Adobe CS6 suite to do all my design work and photo editing. When I got my new macbook I learned my pre-purchased Adobe CS6 did not support the new m1 chip so was facing the decision to pay a monthly Adobe subscription of $53(USD) per month forever! After 5 years, this would have amounted to $3180 (USD). That just seems so unreasonable to me because I feel I am 'priced out' of trying to design. 

Cue Affinity, the life-savers! 

Now that I've been using Affinity, Adobe couldn't pay me to switch back. Smart and thoughtful design + accessible honest pricing. It's also exciting to work with something new and robust like Affinity.
This is what design is all about.

Welcome to the Forums @Hansolo😊  I also have the new Macbook with the M1 chip, and am having a lot of fun with all three Affinities - Photo, Designer, and Publisher.  I thought these apps were fast on my iMac with an Intel chip, but now -- Talk about SPEED!   Hopefully you have also discovered Photo and Publisher.  If not, you might possibly not know that there is a special offer for a 90-day free trial of each app, and a 50% discount in their purchase price.  You could look at the Forum section News and Information>We want to help (again) for more details.   I used Adobe for years and after spending approximately $700.00 on upgrading from the last $500.00-or-so-upgrade of Pagemaker to InDesign, was infuriated when I was informed that I could now rent the software per month at a handsome sum for the privilege of accessing my own files (including several 400-500 page books I had written).  When I found Affinity I knew that I was in the right place the moment I watched the first online video tutorial.  After the gentleman carefully explained the issue (don't remember the first one I watched) he said "Thank you for watching."   That's it! I thought.  Professional, thorough, and so courteous.   I have never looked back.  I am sure you will soon be contributing to the Share Your Work section of these Forums!!

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

On 1/24/2021 at 8:18 PM, jmwellborn said:

After the gentleman carefully explained the issue (don't remember the first one I watched) he said "Thank you for watching."

"Thank you for watching" is the closing salut of Dave Straker in his YouTube videos. It was most likely him you've been seeing at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOnLUmyPHr2rayOHVHWsHVw/featured

Cheers,
d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

1 hour ago, dominik said:

"Thank you for watching" is the closing salut of Dave Straker in his YouTube videos. It was most likely him you've been seeing at

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOnLUmyPHr2rayOHVHWsHVw/featured

Cheers,
d.

Actually these were Affinity videos.  The legacy series.  😊

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

11 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

So there's even more than one kind gentleman. Good 🙂

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

29 minutes ago, jmwellborn said:

James Ritson always signs off with “Thank you for watching.” :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

36 minutes ago, RNKLN said:

If you have any questions or queries… 😀

That, too!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)