You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Synchronize defaults from selection not working on Picture frame

I am (as beginner) switching from MS word to AP and want to convert many long reports with lots of pictures (around 100 per report)  to AP  formats. There are two problems:

• All pictures are pinned to the text frame and I found no way to unpin all of them. Unpin them individually is  no option.
  • After converting the pictures to picture frames, the "distance to text" is always 0 (left, right, top, bottom) . Selecting a specific frame (with the right distance to text) and saving it as default does not do the job, the next frame is again all 0. Synchronize defaults from selection does not work. Is there a way to set default values for top, bottom, left, right for all text wrappings?

Thanks for comments or suggestions for easy converting word docx files to AP

• Staff

Hi Silmaril,

Welcome to the forums :)

Firstly I recommend changing your forum username to something that isn't an email address as otherwise spammers may harvest this address. I can manually change your username for you, if you'd like to confirm the username you'd like?

Secondly, you are unfortunately correct here, Affinity Publisher doesn't not currently support an 'unpin all' option and this must be done manually.

On 1/24/2021 at 5:41 PM, info@sy-silmaril.ch said:

After converting the pictures to picture frames, the "distance to text" is always 0 (left, right, top, bottom) . Selecting a specific frame (with the right distance to text) and saving it as default does not do the job, the next frame is again all 0. Synchronize defaults from selection does not work.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by 'converting the pictures to picture frames', however I find that the Synchronise from Selection option is working correctly for me here, as can be seen below -

I hope this helps!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thanks Ray S. and Dan C. I changed my name to Silmaril, Alex was already taken. I made a video to show my problem: 

see below

Inserting picture frames is ok, as Dan showed, but when I insert Pictures the wrap distance are lost. If one converts from a  office word docx file the pictures are imported as pictures and there is no way to apply text wrapping defaults, as far as I know.

Thanks for help

Alex

• Staff

Many thanks for letting me know regarding your name change :)

I appreciate the screen recording, this is certainly helpful!

Unfortunately you can't add Default Settings for (Image) layers that are being placed into the document, however this what Picture frames are designed for!

If you create your picture frame with the correct wrap spacing, then select this picture frame and navigate to File > Place.

Select the image you want to import, then select Open. Provided you had the Picture Frame selected before using File > Place then you should find the image is automatically added within the Picture Frame and you are offered controls for the scale and placement of this image. You will find that the Picture Frame still has the correct Wrap settings applied, from before you imported the image.

I hope this clears things up!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello Dan

Thanks for the information, your suggestion to add successive picture frames works concerning default  text wraps. As a explained in my first mail I have the problem, that I should convert a lot of Word.docs files with many figures. I include two files  that should point out my problem: 

-  A word file with 2 figures,  it has some text wrapping ( A problem with word 2016/2019  is that there are no default text wrapping for top and bottom)

- the word file is saved and imported into the last AP Publisher

- as you pointed out,  pictures do not have a default text warping (see video)

-  I change the first picture to picture frames, and add for the some text wrapping and save it as default

- I convert the second picture to picture frame and it shows that  all distance to text are zero again , no way to get from the fist picture frame or synchronize from default

This is my problem, converting hundreds of word picture individually to the correct text wrapping is no option.

May I do not use AP correctly,  if you have a suggestion I appreciate it

Thanks

Alex

Test Word -Affinity.docx

• Staff

Many thanks for this screen recording, this shows me exactly what I needed :)

I can confirm this appears to be a bug within Publisher, as I see no reason why when 'Converting to Picture Frame' it should not use your default settings.

For that reason, I'll be logging this with our developers now and we hope to fix this in a future update!

In the meantime, there is a workaround for this - if you create a new Picture Frame with the required wrap settings etc, then use Edit>Cut. Now, right-click on the image and select Convert to Picture Frame, then with the picture frame selected you can use Edit>Paste Style (CTRL + SHIFT + V). This will apply your Wrap (and other frame settings) to this picture frame.

I hope this helps :D

Please note -

Many thanks!