You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer: How to create vector-brushes that can normaly adapt the colour you want for painting

Hi!

I'm actually trying to create own brushes in Designer. That works easy and fine so far, but how can I make a custom brush to be able to adapt the colour from the colour picker as other brushes do? I know, different programs do it in a different way. In ArtRage for example, you have to make the brushes in clean red, so they will take the colours from the colour-picker correctly relating to the colour wheel and even the grey axis. But in Designer, with red brushes this only works with the hue, not with the lightness of the colour. The same with neutral grey brushes - even in greyscale colourspace. They will just paint with clean full saturized colours. It's not possible to paint with lighter or darker tones. In the brushes panel the standard-brushes show up as white strokes, but if I create white brushes, they will only paint white and can't take any colour or another greyscale.  Black brushes only paint black. How can I make them take the colour I want for painting?

48 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

if I create white brushes, they will only paint white and can't take any colour or another greyscale.  Black brushes only paint black. How can I make them take the colour I want for painting?

You've been making Textured Image Brushes. You need to make Textured Intensity Brushes.

• 2 weeks later...

I apologize upfront for the numerous questions, but I'm still kind of new to Affinity and I'm trying really hard to eliminate Illustrator altogether.

Let me start by saying, I love Affinity Designer, but I ran into a big problem...

Does anyone know where to buy true vector brush kits for Affinity Designer?  Brushes that don't pixelate when exported? I saw one brush kit at https://www.retrosupply.co/collections/affinity/products/the-vector-brush-toolbox-for-affinity-designer, but I don't know for sure if they're true vector brushes.

Has anyone tried them?  

To give you an example why this has become a huge issue for me--I recently did an illustration for a customer, and because the brush I needed turned out to be raster, I had to go into illustrator, recreate part of the illustration and bring it over to Affinity.  I tried to create a similar brush in Designer, but it was still raster, so I recreated the brush I needed in Illustrator and redid the work there.

Is there a tutorial on making vector brushes in Affinity Designer, true vector brushes? 

I read somewhere that Designer doesn't support vector brushes? Is that true?

It's a little frustrating when you have to duplicate work, because the vector program you're using isn't always vector. It even warns you that part of your drawing might be converted to raster when exporting to a pdf.

Why?

Does anyone know why Designer allows raster brushes to be added to available brushes in the first place, and why--assuming Designer supports vector brushes--they wouldn't be somehow separated?

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help me figure out my options. 

43 minutes ago, ssmccurdy said:

I read somewhere that Designer doesn't support vector brushes? Is that true?

Yes. The Vector Brushes panel contains a couple of "solid" brushes which are basically a standard stroke, but all of the other brushes have raster textures and there is no support for vector textures at this time and I've never seen any hint from Serif people that they will be implemented in the future.

There is no workaround inside the app. Warping and distortion of vector objects also does not exist in Designer. That probably will change, but it could be this year, five years away or more than ten years away. Serif now tells us nothing about their plans.

4 minutes ago, lineartist said:

no wonder they're not selling their so called vector brushes on the Affinity website. 

There are some "vector" brushes for sale on the Affinity website, though not many:

• Chunky Markers
  • Grave Etcher

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Just now, walt.farrell said:

There are some "vector" brushes for sale on the Affinity website, though not many:

• Chunky Markers
  • Grave Etcher

These brushes have raster textures. Only Serif refers to raster texture brushes as Vector Brushes.

Just now, anon2 said:

These brushes have raster textures. Only Serif refers to raster texture brushes as Vector Brushes.

Yes. Perhaps you missed the quotes around vector :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Oh well... thanks for playing. 

Maybe they can figure out a workaround by eliminating rasterizing and maybe implementing symbols. I know that some programs allow you to make brushes from symbols, so maybe it's just a matter of someone thinking outside of the box. 

I guess I'm keeping illustrator.