You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New to Affinity: Export Preview & Differences between the 3 apps?

Hi,

I am looking for replacements for Adobe's apps, and it seems the Affinity apps are a great answer to Adobe's greedy subscription model. I have some questions, though and I hope you can help me. 😊

- Where is export preview? I see export, but there's no preview. I can't see options for matte, transparency, etc.

- It seems there's a lot of overlap between Photo/Designer/Publisher. I tested one file containing bitmap images and vectors, exported from Adobe Fireworks as PSD, and all three seem to open it and are able to manipulate it. Is there a comparison of their features somewhere? Is there something that one of these can do that the others can't?

- It looks like Designer is the closest alternative to Adobe Fireworks. Is that correct?

Thank you! :)

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

1 hour ago, madonnaragu said:

Where is export preview? I see export, but there's no preview.

It's coming in 1.9 (currently in beta test).

I can't see options for matte, transparency, etc.

For transparency, it's a document-level attribute. In Photo, look for the menu item Document > Transparent Background. In Publisher or Designer look in File > Document Setup, in the Color tab. Or in all 3, set it during File > New.

For matte, check the options in the More... dialog of File > Export.

It seems there's a lot of overlap between Photo/Designer/Publisher. I tested one file containing bitmap images and vectors, exported from Adobe Fireworks as PSD, and all three seem to open it and are able to manipulate it. Is there a comparison of their features somewhere? Is there something that one of these can do that the others can't?

Photo is intended primarily for working on photographs. Designer is intended primarily for doing illustration work. Publisher is intended primarily for creating books or other documents with a lot of text or needing advanced text features. But yes, there's a lot of overlap, and also a number of things that one can do that the others can't.

Try them all using the 90-day trial, and see which ones meet your needs. Or, at the 50% off sale, if you like one you might consider buying all 3.

It looks like Designer is the closest alternative to Adobe Fireworks. Is that correct?

Sorry; no idea.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, madonnaragu said:

- It looks like Designer is the closest alternative to Adobe Fireworks. Is that correct?

Designer is a hybrid vector/raster app but it doesn’t offer HTML output.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

For matte, check the options in the More... dialog of File > Export.

Or Edit > Matte in APhoto

As regards "Export Preview", Designer and APhoto will have it very soon but not Publisher

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.