You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Text disappears when wrapping text around large picture frame rectangle

Mark J.

When I place a large picture frame rectangle on a page, then set the text wrapping to "Tight" for example, a large chunk of the wrapped text just disappears from the text flow.  See attached images.  Text flow before placing the picture frame.1575198652_ScreenShot2021-01-23at3_55_57PM.thumb.png.9e1834f13fa7593a127ae91f1d869128.png

Picture frame in place:

876920708_ScreenShot2021-01-23at3_56_31PM.thumb.png.af291265e3ec437decf693f1a0e43cd1.png

Having set the text wrapping to "Tight" for the newly-placed frame, a chunk of text after the words "Nulla a porttitor tortor." up to the words "...Morbi sagittis elit tortor" (in section 2.2.1.1)disappears:

397515957_ScreenShot2021-01-23at3_56_46PM.thumb.png.1f532a35e55ef974a6c323ea5be129b4.pngThat's about three and a half paragraphs of text.  Where does it go and why?

DOCUMENT FILE IS ALSO ATTACHED: Text disappears.afpub

SYSTEM INFO:
macOS Catalina 10.15.7
Mac Pro (Late 2013)
32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3 GB

Text disappears.afpub

Welcome to the forums @Mark J.
Interestingly, if you scroll to Page 3 and then try to delete the paragraph break at the end of the visible text (ends with “mattis rhoncus”) a few other strange things happen, see attached video.
Not only does the some of the text disappear but some ‘extra’ text (with 2.x numbering) which wasn’t there before appears on a later page.
(This was recorded on Windows 10.)

Thanks for the welcome, GarryP!

On the Mac I replicated the behavior you demonstrated as well.  The Chapter 3 paragraph style was set to start on a new page, so I suppose deleting that paragraph break removes that page break.  But it is hard to figure out what else is happening there - more text goes missing  - specifically, what were the 3.0 and 3.0.0 sections and most of their subordinate body text.

One thing I notice is that the amount of text that goes missing seems to comprise about the same amount of space occupied vertically by the picture frame rectangle that the text is supposed to flow around.  But I can't figure out where that missing text is going.

What I am getting from your post is that I (as a newbie to Publisher) am not "doing something wrong" or mistaken about my expectation that the text should flow correctly around this picture frame rectangle.

This issue is right now blocking me from using Publisher in any serious manner.  Back to InDesign for the time being I guess.

54 minutes ago, Mark J. said:

What I am getting from your post is that I  am not "doing something wrong" ...

You have a combination of Keep with next two lines, Prevent Widows Orphans and Keep Together  in your Paragraph style which is causing this freakout. So that is actually kind of wrong.  If you have Keep Paragraph together set then there is no need for Widows and Orphans. Keeping with the next two lines means it is going to keep the entire next paragraph and so on and so on until there is a different Paragraph style. Just try using the widows and orphans.

1808931152_ScreenShot2021-01-24at10_35_52AM.png.e358c82877e418c3a3629c8f1ac24178.png

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Following up - changing the options as Old Bruce describes above prevents the text from disappearing and results in a sensible flow around the picture frame rectangle.

I would suggest that the phenomenon I reported points to some opportunities for the dev team to handle the combination of paragraph flow options in a way that doesn't blow up a document.  In its current state, it seems that Publisher allows selection of flow options that it cannot handle gracefully.

40 minutes ago, Mark J. said:

I would suggest that the phenomenon I reported points to some opportunities for the dev team to handle the combination of paragraph flow options in a way that doesn't blow up a document.  In its current state, it seems that Publisher allows selection of flow options that it cannot handle gracefully.

It's a feature, not a bug. It's not broken, only its logic is quite complex, especially when used on hierarchical styles.
But sometimes this very setting can be exactly what you would need to achieve a certain automatic flow of text around objects in columns and on pages. Been there done that many many times since the Aldus PageMaker days…
In other words, it's a Good Thing™. :)

It was just the wrong setting for your purpose.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

10 minutes ago, loukash said:

It's a feature, not a bug. It's not broken, only its logic is quite complex, especially when used on hierarchical styles.
But sometimes this very setting can be exactly what you would need to achieve a certain automatic flow of text around objects in columns and on pages. Been there done that many many times since the Aldus PageMaker days…
In other words, it's a Good Thing™. :)

It was just the wrong setting for your purpose.

A setting in a document publishing application that causes text to disappear?  Flexible flow options are a "good thing" - disappearing text - no. 

The text hasn't disappeared. It only tries to follow your "command" which is quite hard because you gave all styles to the same flow rule. The app only does what it's been told.

The rest then became overflow text. Go to the last text frame and click on the red eye to make the overflow text visible:
https://affinity.help/publisher/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Text/flowingText.html?title=Flowing text through frames

Hint: If you're working with long text and you're experimenting with features like this one, insert a dozen or so blank pages at the end so that the text can continue to flow if needed. You can always delete the blank pages when you're finished.

So, Affinity Publisher is an advanced tool. Some of its features have a steep learning curve, and this is one of them. Take your time to experiment.

Even though I was one of the "early adopters", I only started to migrate my InDesign CS5 projects a few weeks ago, after noticing that some of the early bugs and flaws have finally been fixed in v1.8.x. So now I'm at it since weeks, to learn how to use this tool. It takes time, especially after more than 15 years of InDesign "muscle memory" (and 15 years XPress and PageMaker before that)… :)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2