You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

New Stack, hdr, panorama still crashes with the latest beta on Windows 10

I have installed the latest AP beta today to see if the crashes produced when trying to make a hrd, stack or panorama that where present in the program from at least last summer and they are still there.

I've learnt that it is supposed to be related to the nvidia drivers... I have installed the latest ones but the problem persists.

It's been months... and no fix yet. What can we do to solve the problem?

I really like your company and your programs but this is quite frustrating. Thanks in advance.

6 minutes ago, Venyer said:

It's been months... and no fix yet. What can we do to solve the problem?

If the problem is really with the nvidia drivers, then the solution lies with nvidia, not with Photo.

7 minutes ago, Venyer said:

I've learnt that it is supposed to be related to the nvidia drivers...

Where did you learn that? If from a topic here in the forums, perhaps you should be posting there?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi walt.farrel:

I've learn all that from the moderators in this forum along the months.

I posted it here because this is the Photo Beta forum and that's the version I am testing now.

Anyway, any idea on how to solve the problem?

11 minutes ago, Venyer said:

Anyway, any idea on how to solve the problem?

Without seeing the other discussion, with the information about nvidia, no. Sorry.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Reading more posts in the forum related to AP crashes. I have discovered that it seems that having Capture One installed may interfere with some nvidia dlls somehow.

I have uninstalled Capture One 20 and then installed it again. Then I tried to make an HDR:

- AP stable crashes, but later, when it is performing tone maping.

- AP latest Beta seems to work fine. Let's hope it lasts.

I'll run more tests to see how AP beta performs making stacks, hdr and panoramas.

I am suspicious of the NVidia interaction too - not necessarily an error in the drivers but in AFphoto's use of it.  There has been a change 'somewhere' 🙂 
Up to April last year I was able to create landscape Panos easily (not large - around 4 or 5 tifs of 40MB each) . I
came to do this recently and AFphoto v184 failed ( program just vanishes when clicking OK after stitching - even with just 2 tifs )
Obvously much would have changed in the computer [win10 I7 12Gb ram] over that time, so I did a complete reload of windows 10 and all apps (inc 185 of AFphoto) but no luck - again AFphoto just vanishes quietly.   I also tried lowering max ram use option to below 12 (default seems to be just over 12) .
I tried with the same files and version 184 of AFPhoto on my HP Envy laptop (Ryzen) and no issues.

Venyer notes use of Capture One  - I am also a Cap One 20 user alternating between those machines. My old machine uses GTX 745 fwiw?.
I'm reluctant to do a complete reload as a test without Cap One - but if we get more information, I will try that route
Could we have some information on any specific operations that panorama uses that other areas of the code does not, and we  Nvidia users could experiment disabling different functions in the drivers to help analyse the issue?

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

Further information -- doing the same with two jpegs of 2.5Mb  works fine ...so it could be a size issue.   I will try to find a combination of Tif 8 /Tif16 /jpeg /png that is on the edge of the error condition

EDIT -- EDIT -- EDIT

Today ( next day)  I ran this sequence of tests with Jpegs 1200, 1800, 240, 3600 and Tifs at 1200 and 3600 - up to a total of 184Mb of input data.
And this was with Capture One running and it takes up a lot of memory.

As an ex computer systems tester I hate this .... the only difference today is that it is raining ;-) . I'll try diagnostics again if it recurs.

Edited by gw_westdale
change of evidence

Win 11 PCs 64bit  Envy and Envy tablet + Filter Forge  Retired computer systems tester doing graphics for charities and politics etc.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.