You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF passthrough overprint black/color management

The pdf passthrough is a very good feature but till now it is not perfect.

I send you a publisher file with 3 placed pdfs.

in the background two logos with black that is only 100% black.

In the foreground one page of a publication. The main text again is 100% black. (only the monkey is not 100% black)

When I export to pdf x4 one of the logos (the star) becomes 4 coloured black. The other yellow logo is set to overprint black and the whole page text is NOT overprinted black

When exporting to ready for printstudio both logos blacks are 100% black, and the text is NOT overprinted black.

The long text stays 100% black, but is not overprinted black.

It makes no change if I choose transfer or interprete.

When I open the whole-page-pdf in the foreground and replace with this the primarily placed pdf the text is overprinted black with pdf x4 and not overprinted black with printstudio ready.

The logos do not change.

this is a very odd behaviour of Publisher, Indesign here does not make any problems.

afpubtransferproblems.zip

In my impression you run into issues known with PDF export in Affinity. Some have been discussed quite a few times in various threads (e.g. 100 K, overprint, spot color) but I can't remember of a finally clearing response from a Serif member. One reason might be that most of us expect a result as known from ID while some features or PDF specs might not be standardized app-independently, e.g. embedding profiles / converting colors when using the Affinity export preset "for print".

On 1/23/2021 at 6:55 PM, peterfri said:

When I open the whole-page-pdf in the foreground and replace with this the primarily placed pdf the text is overprinted black with pdf x4 and not overprinted black with printstudio ready.

What do you mean with "the primarily placed pdf"? In my experience with your .afpub I can't manage to get the front most layer (~page size body text) overprinting with any export preset, neither PDF/X-4 nor PDF "(for print)". For the black in the Snake illu I get overprinting black with preset "(for print)" only, and only if I switch its default setting of embedding and converting. This workaround was mentioned a few times, e.g. here by @Lagarto . This setting can also help to maintain the desired profile by a differing viewing app, though it doesn't export PDF/X and doesn't set an output intent.

1082099505_exportforprintmodifiedtooverprint.jpg.ca5f2f98ed694e0d284f1cdea03a1726.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

> When I open the whole-page-pdf in the foreground and replace with this the primarily placed

Ah, apparently I missed the "open" previously. So you don't simply place it once more but open & copy/paste it and bypass the "passthrough" this way?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• 4 months later...

Hi I checked this with publisher 1.9.4.1082 

in the bluestar-logo (snakes) now stays 100% black as 100% black and is no longer converted to cmyk-Black.

But all the text is not overprinted black, but it is 100%black. And it makes no difference if I transfer or interprete the pdf.

P.S. I placed 3 Pdfs in the file, there are no new afpub-parts.

See file.

test194-x4.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.