You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

My printer ask me a lay out on a page per page pdf (Closed A5) but I did it with pictures on double page, (open A4) can someone explain me how to do a page per page as I have to cut my picture on 2 pages now ? So i need a page with half of my picture now... I'm lost on this

From what you wrote it sounds to me, that you created a document with facing pages? And an image is placed over two pages lying side by side? If this is the case, then do as shown. Perhaps you can upload a screenshot of your document with the Pages panel visible.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

Please use File > Document Setup and show a screenshot with the Layout tab selected.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Not so good if you did all on A4 landscape pages, but we can repair this. I would not wonder, if others come up with better ideas. So here is the way I would do it.

1. Go to Spread Setup. Select All Spreads. Change Dimensions to A5 and Scaling Anchor left middle, Anchor to Page activated. Confirm with OK.

2. Do the same for Master Pages.

3. Now insert an empty page after every even page. After page 2, 4, 6, 8 etc.

4. Now go to Document Setup and activate Facing Pages and confirm with OK.

Now you have to edit the first and last page a bit.

Hope that helps?

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

4 hours ago, vivviv said:

can someone explain me how to do a page per page

2 hours ago, Joachim_L said:

Not so good if you did all on A4 landscape pages, but we can repair this.

Not that I want to be too snarky, but there's actually a reason why us, professional graphic designers, have spent years in art schools to learn how to do our job. ;)
That all said, the first time I sat in front of a Macintosh SE/30 back in 1989 and attempted to create a basic page layout in Aldus PageMaker 3.0 without having a user manual handy, I totally failed as well, haha…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

12 minutes ago, loukash said:

Not that I want to be too snarky, but there's actually a reason why us, professional graphic designers, have spent years in art schools to learn how to do our job. ;)

I basically agree, however it probably won't take years for @vivviv to understand what mistake he/she made and how to set up document spreads and pages properly.

3 minutes ago, kaffeeundsalz said:

it probably won't take years for @vivviv to understand what mistake he/she made and how to set up document spreads and pages properly

Fair enough. I was in the art school 1983–1988, and we haven't used computers at all. All analog. After finishing the school I've learned all things DTP by trial and error myself, initially using the aforementioned SE/30 in a publicly accessible university library, later borrowing Macs from my more wealthy buddies.

That all said (again) – and back on topic – there used to be some special instances when using A4/one-page spreads was more useful than "proper" A5 facing page layout. Been there done that back in the day, with XPress 3.x or InDesign 2.0. So it's not "totally wrong". You just always need to know what you're doing and what's the best method to get the desired result.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

52 minutes ago, loukash said:

Not that I want to be too snarky,

Snark away. In my previous life as a mechanical engineer trained on slide rules I used to be disgusted by management using unqualified people to do jobs just because they could operate a design program. Seen a few examples of chaos caused by someone doing their best. You can't beat experience, carry on snarking 🙂

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

19 hours ago, David in Яuislip said:

You can't beat experience

Natural talent
Innovative thinking
Motivated to learn and gain experience
Thinking "outside the box"

I hired many IT people in my career, some experienced and some with no experience.

The experienced people cost lots more but you knew they could/would do the work as required, quickly and without errors.

But the inexperienced people were always the ones that came up with new ideas (some good, some bad) because they were not "hindered" with the attitude of... "it has always been done this way and that's the way we do it here."

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Hi, thanks for you infos but i didn't get the solution...

In other words, how can I put a picture over 2 different pages (how can i put one part of the picture on one page and the other part on the second page to make a double page ?, That the only thing I would like to do).

Thanks a lot 

If you work with a Facing Page document from the beginning it's easiest. Just put the picture where you want it in that case, and you're done. At Export time you might need to export using the "All Pages" option.

If you work with a document Setup as single pages, duplicate the image and align one copy so its left side is over the left page, and align the other so its right side is over the right page.

Both of those are starting from the beginning. If you're still trying to fix the problem with your original document, the suggestion above may be a good approach:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Looks like your page size was the flat size and not the folded down size. So if I was working with a book that was 5.5 x 8.5 that was 12 pages I would setup 12 pages 5.5 x 8.5, facing pages. I have seen people over think and do this manually by making their page size 11 x 8.5 and doing it themselves. My fix for this to give me single pages as I need it without ripping all their files apart. I would setup my document how it should be, 12 page, 5.5 x 8.5, facing pages. I would then place the 11 x 8.5 on each spread and centre. Then I would export a PDF as single pages which would give you what you need.... if I am understanding what is being asked that is.