You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: Gradient disappears after substraction

Hi!

There is one thing I don't understand. I created a rectangle and filled it with a gradient to let it look like a tube. After that I duplicated it, tranformed the duplicate a bit and changed the colours of its gradient to a rusty brown. Then I used the Transparency-Tool to blend the duplicate over the blue tube (I duplicated this one as a sample). After that, I wanted to crop the tube at the top by substracting an ellipse from it. As I did this, its gradient got lost (this happened to both: the original and the duplicate). But it still shows up correctly in the Gradient-Menu on the upper left of the GUI, if the rectangle is selected. And in fact there is also a nearly invisible gradient in the graphic, that gives it a little dark shade on the left. But this is nothing I defined in the Gradient-Menu, and it is not what is shown up there. Is this a bug?

I know that I can store the gradient as a style and reapply it to my tube, so it is no bigger problem. But I'm a little bit confused about it.

Edit: For better understanding, I added a designer-file with history called "Designer-Bug".

gradientProblem.jpg

Designer-Bug.afdesign

A moment ago, I found this bug-report in this forum:

In fact also my problem seems to accord to the original position of the object in wich I created the gradient. It doesn't happen if I subtract an object from it if it is still in its original position.

So it seems to be a known issue that might be fixed in one of the next updates, I hope.

Hi Sean, thanx for your reply!

Yes, it should be fixed, I think. But for the meantime I found two ways to manage the problem. The first is to create a style from the gradient and to reapply it to the shape if it got lost after subtraction.

The second one is to create the shape, duplicate it, drag it onto the other (to the right of the preview-image), move it, and then create the shape you want to subtract and subtract it form the first shape. This is a little more complicated, but it works.