You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

72 to 300 dpi APhoto vs Photoshop

Hey, trying to switch to Affinity from Adobe and have a question. I noticed that Photoshop has really upped their game when raising the DPI in an image by simply making the image larger.  Older CS4 I had to do some tricky settings to adjust the quality, now in CC amazingly does it all for you. So I thought I would test APhoto and see if it did similar. 

Here are the results. Yet I had to make the APhoto 1200 dpi to get these results. Still not as good as 300 dpi in Photoshop CC.  Please tell me if there is a setting in APhoto to do the same. APhoto top left - Photoshop CC bottom right. 

Also - Does ADesigner have anything like "Image Trace... make and expand" ? Like Illustrator? 

fuzzyph.png

There are multiple ways of changing DPI, best to read the help (F1) from Affinity.

There is for example one way without resampling*, then there are Resampling settings like Lanczos 3 which can do a lot in keeping details.
Another thing for scaling up images (but not dpi) is under Document >Rezize Pixel Art Document

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/SizeTransform/imageSize.html?title=Changing image size

• From the Document menu, select Resize Document.
  • Ensure the Resample option is switched off.
  • Change the DPI to control the number of pixels (dots) which will be printed per inch when your document is printed. Set higher values (e.g., 300dpi) for professional printing.
  • Click Resize.
  • You will see no change in the image on the page as this procedure only affects the image's metadata.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | https://bansheebyte.artstation.com/store

Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

9 minutes ago, myclay said:

There are multiple ways of changing DPI, best to read the help (F1) from Affinity.

There is for example one way without resampling*, then there are Resampling settings like Lanczos 3 which can do a lot in keeping details.
Another thing for scaling up images (but not dpi) is under Document >Rezize Pixel Art Document

https://affinity.help/photo/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/SizeTransform/imageSize.html?title=Changing image size

• From the Document menu, select Resize Document.
  • Ensure the Resample option is switched off.
  • Change the DPI to control the number of pixels (dots) which will be printed per inch when your document is printed. Set higher values (e.g., 300dpi) for professional printing.
  • Click Resize.
  • You will see no change in the image on the page as this procedure only affects the image's metadata.

I know all this and tried it all. Photoshop simply does a "high-res" which is amazing, by upping the res from 72 to 300 and resampling. Done. It's like magic. Everything I have tried in APhoto, even upping the resolution to 1200, wasn't near as good. (as shown in my image). So I guess my point is either I am still missing some setting somewhere, or much more likely that Affinity has yet to perfect this type of thing. So truly this is a feature request, along with tracing edges to vector in either photo to designer.  I'm not complaining at all... I love what Affinity has done so far. GO Affinity!!! 

18 hours ago, BLKay said:

I know all this and tried it all. Photoshop simply does a "high-res" which is amazing, by upping the res from 72 to 300 and resampling. Done. It's like magic. Everything I have tried in APhoto, even upping the resolution to 1200, wasn't near as good. (as shown in my image). 

Your image is shown at 300%. How do the Photoshop and Affinity images compare at 100%?

John

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

If I'm not mistaken, the new Photoshop uses AI to upscale images. I personally don't use Affinity products for upscaling and resizing, because I own Topaz Gigapixel AI and Pixelmator Pro, which use AI and ML to get amazing results. I don't think Affinity has implemented anything like that yet.