You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Impossible to modify adjustment layer on a picture after it is created on publisher

Hello,

I have been having the following problem in the most up to date (as of today) version of affinity publisher desktop (1.8.6) on Mac :

1. I add a picture to a page (not a master).

2. I use the photo persona (top left corner in publisher) to make adjustments on the picture (e.g., brightness and contrast, black and white).

3. (Here's the problem). The adjustments becomes caked in the picture. The adjustment is now: A) fused with the picture; B) impossible to readjust or modify; C), impossible to delete; D) impossible to uncheck from the layers section. If I double click on the adjustment layer, a dialog box appears, giving me "fusion" options).

This is problematic because I would like to have the ability to continue making adjustments on the picture.

Is there any way to fix this issue?

Thank you,

In the scenario you describe, if you have a document page with a photo on it, and you simply switch to the Photo Persona, you are still editing the entire page.

What happens next depends on whether you have the image layer selected or not when you apply the adjustment. If it's not selected, then the adjustment applies to the entire page. But if the image layer is selected the adjustment would be added just to the image layer.

In either case, though, the adjustment should remain adjustable unless at some point you pushed the Merge button on the adjustment's dialog. So if you didn't push Merge then I don't understand what happened.

Some screenshots would be nice, or the actual document so we can examine it more closely.

Note, too, that there are additional considerations if it was a Linked image and you used the Edit Image button, or double-clicked it in the Layers panel, to do the editing. As you did not describe doing that, I have not addressed that possibility above.

(Also, in the scenario you've described, there's no need to use the Photo Persona, as Publisher can make adjustments in the Publisher Persona. But it should not hurt to use the Photo Persona.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

10 hours ago, am7 said:

If I double click on the adjustment layer, a dialog box appears, giving me "fusion" options

What are "fusion" options

Screenshot of this dialog box please

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you both for your answers.

@walt.farrell

I attached a sample file which reproduces the issue (at least, for me).

Following your comment, It should also be said that I do double-click on the picture itself before making an adjustment. Then I get the problem my initial post describes. When I make an adjustment to the whole page, it stays editable without problem.

Also, I did not push the merge button.

The pictures in question come from stock panel.

@carl123

I attached snapshots of the fusion dialog box (it is fusion in french, but blend mode in english, I attached a version of both). It was rather hard, because it often only appears on screen for a fraction of a second. It sometimes stays on screen (although I am unsure why) without apparent reason. It also stays on screen if I hold the cmd or shift key as I double-click on the adjustment, which I discovered while trying to take a screenshot

As a sidenote, there is one more behaviour affinity has in this context and that I find odd: sometimes, the checkboxes for the image layers are greyed out (I do not know why), and therefore they cannot be unchecked. Other times, they are not greyed out, but clicking to uncheck them only works for a small fraction of a second, after which the check returns automatically.

fusion box1.png

fusion box english.png

Affin_Publ_fruit.afpub

Recipe:

Create 1 page document with Master page
Add picture frame to Master page
Goto page one of document
Add JPG to picture frame
In Layers Panel, expand Master Page Layer and Picture frame layer
Add adjustment to JPG layer (e.g., Recolour - adjustment will become child of JPG layer)
Close adjustment dialog

Result: Unable to reopen adjustment dialog

At first glance it looks like a bug but I believe it may be "as designed" (a bit confusing but "as designed")

The adjustment is being added to an image shown only on page one but the image is contained in a picture frame from the Master Page.

So, to readjust the adjustment you have to use the Edit Detached function to access the adjustment to readjust it

Confusing because you don't need to use Edit Detached to add the adjustment but you do to readjust it or delete it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

Confusing because you don't need to use Edit Detached to add the adjustment but you do to readjust it or delete it

Due to the inconsistency, that feels more like a bug to me.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Thank you @carl123 for the solution,

I tried edit detached and it is now possible to reopen the adjustment.

For future reference and for people wondering how to access Edit detached: Right-clicking on the master page layer from the layer panel allows you to access this option.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Due to the inconsistency, that feels more like a bug to me.

I also feel like part of this is a bug (although it is also possible part of it is as designed). I added the bug tag to this thread, and I will make a post about it in the Publisher Bugs found on MacOS subforum (linking this thread).

Regards,

2 minutes ago, am7 said:

For future reference and for people wondering how to access Edit detached: Right-clicking on the master page layer from the layer panel allows you to access this option.

Also, with the Master Page layer selected in the Layers panel, and the Move Tool active, you should have a button in the Context Toolbar to choose an editing option.

-- Walt
PC:

• 3 weeks later...

My very frustrating experience exactly!!!

When I select the image only, as daughter of the Frame, and add an adjustment, it just flashes briefly and disappears, nevere to be editable or re-locaed by dragging. That's a bug to me, even if 'designed." I will certainly take advantage of the solution offered here.

Later on, these misplaced layers are on top of the stack and then are carried forward when exporting to PDF for Print, though they look fine on screen. BUT the master page areas often, but not consistently, print in large black rectangles when proof-printing. I hope that Edit/Detatched will take care of this.

Publisher is splendid, often making my day! But these little things...

David Wing