You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using Transform sizing functions

I’m new to Affinity. One of the first things I tried is sizing a photo.  But, after importing the photo it’s size has never registered in the Dimensions section of the Transform persona. I can’t discover why this is so. This is only one of the many facets I can’t discover how to use. I cannot discover the answer by endless fiddling, by consulting the tutorials, nor by example. Help.

I’m sorry...I read this answer a few times and I cannot understand it... just like most of the problems I’m having with Affinity Photo. I have used the Adobe C3 suite (as well as earlier versions) for more than 20 years, and made a good living with them. Obviously many people are using the Affinity line of image manipulation, maybe I’m simply too stupid...... but still, I wonder. I appreciate you attempting to provide an answer via translation apps, but I just don’t get it. There are many Affinity tools that just don’t seem to work for me.I will continue to bang my head against the wall, but life would be simpler if a simple set of instructions were available. I struggle on.

How can I resize a photo in Affinity Photo, using the Transform persona? Importing the photo does not reveal any information in the dimensions module when I try this. I can resize the photo under the document menu on the upper left. But nothing about the pixel resolution is revealed. Sometimes the photo will appear as expected when I save it to the iPad or to iCloud... sometimes not. I feel like Alice-Down-the-Rabbit-Hole.

What forum is this for, if not the beta? Yet another rule that appears with no obvious explanation! 

Edited by mokelvey
misspelling - addition

8 hours ago, mokelvey said:

What forum is this for, if not the beta? Yet another rule that appears with no obvious explanation! 

The beta forum has been setup to allow beta testers to report bugs on beta version so they can be identified and fixed prior to release.

How to questions will receive a better response in the appropriate forums for each app. Ie. here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/43-affinity-on-ipad-questions/

How can I resize a photo? There are many ways to do this in affinity. You can select the layer and drag the handles to make the image size change (zoom or expand), or do you want to resize to specific px or centimetre sizing, using Transform Studio. First select Move Tool, then select the pixel layer in Transform Studio. Then adjust to suit. Not working? Make sure the selected layer is a pixel layer not an image layer. You can use the Layer Studio to Rasterise image layers. 
You can also resize using Document menu. Check the Context menu as many have a small white triangle symbol next to them to select sub menus with additional settings. Again be sure to check the type of layer. Photos may be image layers and will need rasterising if you want to manipulate pixels. 

Have fun. 😁

Use the linked forum above for ‘questions'. Use the bug forums to report bugs in release versions. Use the beta forum to report issues with beta apps.😇

8 hours ago, mokelvey said:

Obviously many people are using the Affinity line of image manipulation, maybe I’m simply too stupid...... but still, I wonder.

Coming from Adobe to Affinity requires a major mindshift as Affinity apps are non destructive editing. Give yourself time to become familiar with how it works. 

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

@mokelveyich kann das nachvollziehen, habe selber über 20 Jahre mit Photoshop gearbeitet. Es braucht eine Zeit des Umgewöhnens, weil Affinity Photo keine Kopie von Photoshop ist, es ist ein neuer Stern am Himmel. Und am IPad arbeiten bedeutet noch mehr Umgewöhnung, wenn man bisher nur am Desktop mit einer solcher Anwendung gearbeitet hat. Ich empfehle auf YouTube Tutorials zu Affinity Photo anzusehen, auch Affinity bietet welche an. Das macht das Einarbeiten um einiges einfacher und schneller. Wünsche viel Freude mit diesem hervorragenden Programm.

I am so Sorry, Google translate for me, I am not liable for Google ;-))