You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to use Publisher with Openasset?

Our company uses Openasset and has been very excited to see this support coming. Now that it is available in Beta, we would like to begin some testing. Is there any info on how to link content between publisher and OA? Any other details, like local cache size, etc? Thanks for any details you can provide.

• Staff

Adding images
Drag from OpenAsset web site into a document. Multiple selections are supported. Images are loaded into separate layers.
This will synchronously download a thumbnail (should get a progress popup) and asynchronously download the full image.

Image cache
This cache has a max size of 10GB. On shutdown, we enforce this by deleting the least recently used images.

Switching from thumbnail to full image
When the document is zoomed in enough that the thumbnail starts getting upsampled, it will switch to the full image. "Loading 1 image..." will appear in the title bar.
This will happen as soon as you place the image (or load the document) if the current zoom is high enough.
If the full download hasn't completed yet, it will be moved to the front of the queue.
Also, any actions that require the full image should trigger the switch, e.g. rasterising, printing, exporting.

Authentication
When a document containing OpenAsset images is loaded, we query the server to see if any images have been remotely updated.
Each image knows which server it came from, and it's possible to have images from multiple servers in the same document.
A user name + password dialog will appear when you load the document - the password is forgotten on shutdown.
If login is cancelled, the images will not be checked for updates.
A toast is shown with the numbers of unchanged/updated/failed images. (edited) 

Thanks. I have just tried this and have some questions. 

1. After relaunching publisher with an Openasset image in the document, I get the "Openasset Login" dialog, but it does not work correctly. Our company uses SSO with Onelogin and Openasset is integrated with that using saml. I believe that the Publisher dialog is not properly sending the login data or something. It should automatically redirect to the SSO provider for login. I believe there should be an option in the login dialog that says "login with SSO provider" or something as I have seen this on other sites.

2. I finally saw the "loading image 1" message in the title bar...it would be nice if there was a gui option that would allow you to force full image download if desired and see status of download...like a progress bar.

3. You mention being moved to the front of the queue...is the queue visible anywhere?

4. Is the 10GB cache adjustable through GUI (preferable) or through registry or other back end methods? I am specifically thinking if there is computer that is stretched for space and needs to be customized.

5. Is there anywhere the cache can be cleared? The Openasset plugin for Indesign has both a cache size and clear cach option in the gui. These would be useful.

It is very exciting to see this feature. This will help tremendously for adoption in the company and moving away from indesign.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.