You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I am trying to edit an image I worked on. I used some text and would like to try another font however, every time open the original without the text in Affinity it displays the a version with the text I don't want and will not allow me to change the font. How do I go about getting the original image uploaded without interference? Or how do I change the existing font if I can't upload the original image? I've attached the images, one with the text added "The Leader In Handmade Cables" and the original image without.

post-18377-0-23220500-1442440991_thumb.jpg

post-18377-0-34416800-1442441003_thumb.jpg

Thank you for welcoming me, I'm really enjoying the software. 

It's in jpeg format. I'm trying to edit the original image by adding a new line but every time I open the original image, which doesn't have the line of text in it, Affinity opens the image with the line of text I added from a previous session. That's the problem, I don't necessarily need to edit the text that keeps popping up, I don't want it there at all. The original image doesn't have it. 

Please check the images I provided in the original statement to see what I mean.

• Staff

Hi Brian C. Mendes,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

How are you opening the file? Are you using the Open Recent entry in the menu? Affinity may have saved the file in its native format due to your changes (.afdesign) and you are probably opening that file instead of the original JPG unless you have overwritten the original JPG file. Can you try to use File ▸ Open and point to the original JPG file instead?

Does this solve the issue?

• Staff

Thank you for welcoming me, I'm really enjoying the software. 

It's in jpeg format. I'm trying to edit the original image by adding a new line but every time I open the original image, which doesn't have the line of text in it, Affinity opens the image with the line of text I added from a previous session. That's the problem, I don't necessarily need to edit the text that keeps popping up, I don't want it there at all. The original image doesn't have it. 

Please check the images I provided in the original statement to see what I mean.

The images both look the same for me :(  If you open the file in preview does it still have the text that you don't want on it?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Hi Brian C. Mendes,

How are you opening the file? Are you using the Open Recent entry in the menu? Affinity may have saved the file in its native format due to your changes (.afdesign) and you are probably opening that file instead of the original JPG unless you have overwritten the original JPG file. Can you try to use File ▸ Open and point to the original JPG file instead?

Yes, I choose File > Open and point to the original JPG stored in my photos section and it pulls up the version I do not want.

Hi Brian C. Mendes,

So I tried what you suggested and I still can't seem to open the original image. This has me scratching my head. Is it because I Save and not Save As..? I'm stumped and need to fix this.

• Staff

Hi Brian,

If you have opened your image (the JPG) and changed it without creating any new layers or using any Affinity Photo specific features (like Live filters for example), then doing just a Save will overwrite your original JPG image, like in any other software.

If you have created new layers or used Affinity Photo specific features (like FX Effects, Live Filters, Adjustments layers etc) then doing a Save will ask you how you want to proceed offering you two choices: Save Flattened or Save As as a new document (see attached image). This is because the JPG format doesn't support layers.

post-59-0-81071900-1442934200_thumb.png

If you have chosen Save Flattened the first time you worked in your image, Affinity flattened all your layers into one, and then saved the file overwriting the original JPG.

If you have chosen Save As Affinity displayed a dialog where you could give the file a new name and then saved the file as an .afphoto file. This is Affinity Photo native format and it supports all specific features available in Photo, keeping them intact (Layers, FX Effects , Adjustments etc) so you can edit them later if needed.

I don't know exactly what you've done to the image the first time (have you created new objects/layers?), neither which option you have chosen when you saved the image the first time, so i'm not sure what's the current state of your file.

I would advise you to check which files do you still have on your system and upload them here so we can check and advise you better.

Hi Brian, I think I may have the solution...hold tight. This isn't an Affinity fix, but an Apple fix!

https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18862?locale=en_US

OS X Yosemite: View and restore past versions of documents

Many apps automatically save versions of documents as you work on them. At any time, you can browse through document versions and go back to an older version. You can also explicitly save a version. 

A version is saved automatically every hour, or more frequently when you’re making many changes. A version is also saved when you open, save, duplicate, lock, rename, or revert a document. 

Browse, restore, duplicate, and delete versions
  1. Open the document, then choose File > Revert To > Browse All Versions.

2. Click tick marks along the timeline to browse versions.

3. Display the version you want, then do one of the following:

• To restore your document to this version, click Restore.

• To duplicate this version in a new document, press the Option key and click “Restore a Copy.”

• To delete this version, move the pointer to the top of the screen to show the menu bar, then choose File > Revert To > Delete This Version. 

• To leave your document as is, without changes, click Done.

Explicitly save a version

Choose File > “Save.”

To save the document using a different filename, location, or format, press the Option key and choose File > “Save As.”

Revert a document to the last opened version

Choose File > Revert To, then choose Last Opened, Last Saved, or Previous Save.

Last Modified: Nov 18, 2014
HTH
peter

MacBook pro, 2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, OS X 10.11.6

http://www.pinterest.com/peter2111