You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cursor/mouse lag when using GPU

Whenever I select my GPU (RTX3080) in the renderer options, Affnity behaves very laggy and slow when navigating the toolbar on the left and even outside of the Affinity window. Working on an image itself is fine, but once I leave the 'image' area it starts behaving very laggy. I'm running a 3440x1440 monitor with 120hz. When I disable the renderer and choose the standard option, everything works fine (but slower because of no gpu rendering).

Edit : found out that disabling Gsync fixes this. Of course, this is kinda annoying and should work.

Edited by lapinobel

• Staff

Hi @lapinobel,

Welcome to the forums :)

2 hours ago, lapinobel said:

Edit : found out that disabling Gsync fixes this. Of course, this is kinda annoying and should work.

I personally use a GTX 1070 with Gsync enabled and I'm not seeing the same issues in Affinity apps - you should find that the following Gsync settings work as expected for you:

image.png

Does changing your Gsync settings to match the above affect your Affinity app, or does this continue to work correctly? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Nope, it's set like that. I enable the "Gsync" notification so there's a small text on-screen when Gsync is enabled. You can clearly see then that Gsync is disabled as long as I stay away from the "image" window, as soon as I hover over the image itself "Gsync" enables  and when then moving the mouse back to the toolbar it switches gscyn off causing the lag. Will try to make a video about this.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know and I'm sorry to hear this - I've enabled this Gsync notification but it doesn't appear to show for me when in the app, with my cursor focused on the canvas or the UI.

It's possible that your drivers are outdated and this may be causing the slight 'lag' you're seeing - please visit the Nvidia website and download the latest version of the driver. During installation we recommend selecting 'Clean install' as this will remove any old driver versions that are installed on your PC.

Please note doing this will clear your Nvidia Control Panel settings, so please make sure to take note of your preferences here before running the 'clean install'.

If this doesn't help, a screen recording showing the issue would certainly be appreciated :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank god I found this  thread, I'm having the same problem. I did a format/clean Windows reinstall yesterday, so everything is as fresh as it gets. Designer and Photo are the only apps with this problem. And yes, switching from "gsync" to "fixed refresh" in the nvidia control panel fixes the problem. No more lag and stuttering, everything is buttery smooth in both apps.

I really hope this can get looked at by the devs as soon as possible.

• Staff

Hi @INDOMINUS REX,

Welcome to the forums :)

As above, I'm not seeing this issue on my 1070 with Gsync enabled - can you please confirm for me:

• What GPU are you running?
  • Have you downloaded the latest drivers and performed a 'clean install'? (as above)
  • Do you have the Gsync notification on at all?

It would help if you could also provide a screen recording showing this issue for me. Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, all latest drivers with clean install (driver cleaner used), yes Gsync notification as soon as I hover about the 'image' portion of the application, once I leave the image and for example go to the menu or toolbar, the gsync notification disappears. Gsync is set to "full screen" only. Had not have time for a recording, will try to do this asap.

• Staff

Thanks for confirming that! Do you see less of a 'lag' if you disable the Gsync notification? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Notification doesn't matter.

Gsync on = lag

Gsync off = no lag

I've already requested a refund and uninstalled the apps, so I'm gonna remove myself from this conversation. I was really hoping I could finally leave Adobe behind, but both apps are missing way to many core/basic features to be really useful for me.

Good luck to the team and hopefully we'll meet again in the future.

Tried to grab it on a video, you can see the Gsync notification flicker on/off when going to the image window, and then it turns off when opening a menu or clicking on the toolbar. It's not 100% clear on the video but I guess the recording software had some impact too (notification flickers a bit, which it does not when not recording). I can only say that when using my RTX3080, the image window enables Gsync and when I go to the toolbar, it stutters until the Gsync turns off (it turns off once I CLICK on the toolbar, not when I hover), but it turns on again once applying for example a brush on the image itself. Setting to "warp" fixes it of course. Also tried to disable "nvidia overlay" same issue.

Edited by lapinobel

• Staff

Many thanks for the screen recording provided!

As I was unable to replicate this personally, I asked a member of our QA team to try this also, his setup is as follows:

RTX 3080

Nvidia Driver 461.09

1080p Gsync monitor @240hz.

In his testing, he is not seeing quite the same 'lag' as shown in your video, although there is a slight 'hiccup' sometimes when moving from Canvas to a Studio in the retail version with a large brush.

However he also tested this in our latest beta version, which supports Hardware Acceleration using the OpenCL standard. Here, there was no discernible lag when moving from Canvas to Studios with Gsync enabled, even with a 4000px brush.

Could you please install the latest beta alongside your retail version, and test using the same tools/settings here to see if this is improved for you?

Many thanks :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

Thx. Just tried the beta, same 'issue'. You say there's a 'hiccup' moving from canvas>studio and this is (I think) what I experience. Just checked my settings again :

* gsync on for full screen only

* driver version 461.09

* 3440x1440 monitor @ 120hz (gsync enabled)

Disabling Gsync via Nvidia Control panel, or using the "warp" renderer fixes it. So it's definitely due to the application switch gsync on when active on the canvas, and turning it back off when clicking inside the toolbar/menu. You need to CLICK to enable/disable the gsync. Of course, this shouldn't happen. Gsync should be left disabled throughout the application. Fwiw, I also disabled the nvidia overlay, but this doesn't change a thing.

• Staff

Many thanks for trying that for me and I'm very sorry to hear this!

I can confirm that a colleague of mine using a 2070 has been able to replicate this here, so I'll get this logged with our developers now.

In the meantime I believe you can disable Gsync on a per-application basis, so that you can continue to leave Gsync enabled globally and you are not forced to use WARP rendering within Affinity.

If you open the Nvidia Control Panel, then navigate to Manage 3D Settings, now change the list to Program Settings and select the Affinity app from the list of apps.

With the Affinity app selected, scroll down the settings until you see Monitor Technology and change this to Fixed Refresh.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Just to add to this, I have a machine capable of GSync, but I'll need to swap the GPU over to test it out. 

With regards to the difference between the document view and the rest of the UI, we are in control of the document view, and we render the document using Direct3D11, where as the rest of the UI is implemented with WPF - so if there is an issue there, this may be something that needs reporting to Microsoft (for reference, WPF is rendered with Direct3D9, or in software depending on config).

Glad to see someone else has the same issue, for me the issue is gone by using driver 460.89, anything after this causes the zoom lag, mouse lag, but I have noticed it in other apps too such as Cubase Pro 11 for a brief moment. Try the driver 460.89 and raise a ticket with NVIDIA, I have been trying for weeks and the latest driver came out few days ago and still has the same issue...
I might re-install the latest and disable G-Sync as mentioned above and see what happens...

Good Luck

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
Version    10.0.19042 Build 19042
System Manufacturer: ASUS
System Type: x64-based PC
System SKU: ASUS_MB_CNL
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 1802, 01/12/2020
BIOS Mode: UEFI
BaseBoard Product: ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM): 64.0 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (MSI Gaming X Trio)

I have the same problem, Nvidia RTX3070 with the newest driver installed. Now I tested a bit with the NVIDIA control panel settings. 

If I only set the Monitor Technology to Fixed Refresh, the mouse lag was gone but I get a blackout of the hole window every few seconds when I change the tool for example.

Then I only changed the setting for the Preferred Refresh Rate to Highest available forced for the Affinity Applications, I don't changed Monitor Technology and had G-Sync still enabled. This fixed all the problems finally! 😀

This is really a strange behavior of the Affinity apps, never got such a problem with other 3D accelerated applications.

Cheers,
Sven

16 hours ago, FXTC said:

I have the same problem, Nvidia RTX3070 with the newest driver installed. Now I tested a bit with the NVIDIA control panel settings. 

If I only set the Monitor Technology to Fixed Refresh, the mouse lag was gone but I get a blackout of the hole window every few seconds when I change the tool for example.

Then I only changed the setting for the Preferred Refresh Rate to Highest available forced for the Affinity Applications, I don't changed Monitor Technology and had G-Sync still enabled. This fixed all the problems finally! 😀

This is really a strange behavior of the Affinity apps, never got such a problem with other 3D accelerated applications.

Cheers,
Sven

Coming back to this thread after changing my GPU over. My setup is now as follows:

NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super

Asus ROG SWIFT PG27UQ (G-Sync, 144Hz)

I originally used DDU to uninstall my drivers, and then install the latest NVIDIA Studio drivers. I'm using default settings, and I'm not seeing any issues with G-Sync at all.

45 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

Coming back to this thread after changing my GPU over. My setup is now as follows:

NVIDIA RTX 2080 Super

Asus ROG SWIFT PG27UQ (G-Sync, 144Hz)

I originally used DDU to uninstall my drivers, and then install the latest NVIDIA Studio drivers. I'm using default settings, and I'm not seeing any issues with G-Sync at all.

I tested a bit more this morning. I uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and then done a fresh install, all settings were reset to default. G-Sync is activated for full screen mode only.

Then I tested Affinity Photo and took a brush tool and the mouse lag/stuttering was there (it appears only when the mouse moves between the toolbar and the image). After that I set my own settings in the NVIDIA control panel, which is only set the max frame rate to 120 in the global settings. The mouse lag was still there. And finally I changed the setting for the Preferred Refresh Rate to Highest available forced for the Affinity Applications which fixed the mouse lag.

So for my system this problem and the fix is pretty reproducible.

Here are my detailed specs:

• NVIDIA RTX 3070
  • Acer Predator XB271HUbmiprz 144Hz connected with DP
  • Windows 10 Pro 20H2
  • NVIDIA GEFORCE GAME READY DRIVER 461.40  WHQL
  • Affinity Photo 1.9.0.932

Could it be a difference with the NVIDIA Studio drivers? I run games on my computer too, so I installed the Game Ready drivers.

Edited by FXTC

49 minutes ago, FXTC said:

Could it be a difference with the NVIDIA Studio drivers? I run games on my computer too, so I installed the Game Ready drivers.

Possibly - I know NVIDIA optimise their Studio drivers for the Affinity applications.

Edit: I also play games on the Studio Drivers, and they're fine for that purpose 🙂

I have updated my original post and will copy paste here below also in case u miss it for a possible fix for the flicker after disabling GSYNC:

NVIDIA have now got back to me, they are aware of some of these issues and a new Driver addressing them should be available by the end of this month, they also gave me this link for a reg fix for the flicker after disabling GSYNC https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/track/AvNKvQrCDv8S~bUtGmwe~yJl4uEqeC75Mv~Q~zj~PP8Z

9 minutes ago, PhatMonkey said:

I have updated my original post and will copy paste here below also in case u miss it for a possible fix for the flicker after disabling GSYNC:

NVIDIA have now got back to me, they are aware of some of these issues and a new Driver addressing them should be available by the end of this month, they also gave me this link for a reg fix for the flicker after disabling GSYNC https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5157/track/AvNKvQrCDv8S~bUtGmwe~yJl4uEqeC75Mv~Q~zj~PP8Z

Excellent - thanks for getting back to us

• 7 months later...

Hi to all!

I'm bringing this problem up again after so many months scince I've just encountered the issue. The mouse is laggy when leaving the canvas area beyond the rulers for a second, then goes back to being smooth. I have a setup like this:

• Nvidia RTX 3060Ti
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9600K CPU
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Nvidia GeForce driver 471.96
  • 3440x1440 GSync monitor
  • Affinity Designer 1.10.1.1142

I found out, that the issue is caused by the rulers. When these are on, the mouse lags when passing outside the rulers area. When rulers are off, the mouse works smoothly all the time. Let me point out that this is all with a GSync on and all Nvidia settings at their defaults.

Unfortunately, Turning either rulers or GSync globally off is not convenient. Getting rid of the rulers for the sake of performance is like choosing the wrong that's more right. Could it be possible for me to request the developer team to look into that and maybe even possibly prevent the rulers from lagging the mouse in the future? I would be more than thankful scince I don't wish to switch to any other program. 🙂

Edited by Danielzon

• Staff

Hi @Danielzon,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

My apologies for the delayed response here! Can you please provide a screen recording showing this issue for me?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

If you navigate to Edit > Preferences > Performance, do you have Hardware Acceleration enabled at the bottom of this dialog? If you disable this feature and restart the app, does this resolve the mouse lagging for you?

I can confirm that our team have also recently reported to our developers that a high 'polling rate' for mice can cause the app to lag and we're looking into this issue further currently. Do you know the polling rate of your mouse by chance?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi @Dan C

Thank you for your reply!

So I checked the polling rate and it's 1000 hz. I tried changing it to lower values but to no avail. Disabling hardware acceleration also had no positive effect on the issue. 

But an interesting thing happened when I tried to record the screen with the Windows Game Bar - while recording the issue was gone! Unfortunately after the recording stopped the mouse started to lag again. So in order to show you the problem I recorded it with my phone camera (hope it's legible). In the video I turned the rulers on and off to show the difference. 

Looking forward to your reply 🙂